Ripped films won't transfer to 3rd gen Nano

Discussion in 'iPod' started by annk, Feb 6, 2008.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The first couple times I used the instructions here for ripping a DVD to my iPod, they worked fine. Now, however, I've gotten the "can't be played on this iPod" message the last few times. I've tried it on about 4 DVDs, tried reripping, but to no avail.

I'm trying to rip DVDs of a Chinese TV series. They're real DVDs, not pirated editions, and they play fine on my Powerbook and on the DVD-player connected to my TV, so I don't think it's the discs. I intially transferred two of them to my iPod, so there's no DRM involved that might be blocking anything - they rip fine, and I can view the ripped films in VLC, and the Handbraked versions in iTunes.

I'm doing the ripping and importing into iTunes via my son's new iMac, because my PB takes forever. But the iMac recognised my iPod, and like I say, these are DVDs I own, not something purchased from the iTunes store, so there shouldn't be any problem with an account.

I'm on 10.5.1.

Any ideas? I'm really frustrated, I can't figure this out.

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Yupp.

Worked for me the first couple of times, too. :(

I'm bummed about this, because I got this iPod specifically to be able to practice understanding Chinese while I'm on the bus to and from work, and I really want to use this TV series to do it. The Chinese subtitles are really clear, even on the tiny screen, and there's a good ratio of sections with and without dialogue.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

My experience with this has been that when you can see the Video in iTunes and it won't sync with your iPod/iPhone/Apple TV, it is because one of the settings on the file is not compatible with the device you are trying to sync. Could be something as obvious as the movie dimensions, or as obscure as the bit rate.

Have you tried the iPod settings in Handbrake?

What about converting the file INSIDE iTunes? I think you can control-click on the file in iTunes, and select "Convert for iPod"? This may be listed in the Advanced menu also? Sorry but I am not at my Mac to try this.

it will take a while to convert, but I think that might work too...

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

That's what I figured, too, but I'm following all the directions in the guide-sticky exactly, so I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

Do you mean as opposed to the settings in the guide?

I wasn't even aware that this was possible! I tried it, and I see that QT files will start to convert (I stopped the process, so I don't know how it would've turned out), but another ripped movie I had in iTunes wouldn't even start to convert. Will iTunes only convert QT files?

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I fond the best way to do it (Though it takes a while longer) is to rip it using the 'Normal' setting in Handbrake, and use iSquint to convert for iPod/iPhone.

Does take a while longer, but it works every time.

7. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

iSquint is so slow on my G4 PB (one film can take 24 hours) that I've given up on it, but I can try it on my son's new iMac. If that works, I'm all set. :)

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

As far as converting the files in iTunes, this has always worked for me, but I have only worked with QT files. If you have other formats, I am not sure if iTunes can convert them.

As far as handbrake settings, I thought there was a drop down for different destination formats, such as iPod, Apple TV, etc. Selecting the destination format automaticall fills in the settings for bit rate, etc.

9. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I tried just using Handbrake with the iPod high-res settings plus a few modifications. I set the bitrate to 160 (as per the sticky with instructions on settings for iPod), set the width to 320 in pictures settings, and checked the box for subtitles. It worked perfectly. :) Did it on my son's computer, since it's a lot faster than mine. He dragged the result into iTunes, then into my iPod.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Edit: Didn't work with disc number two from the same set, even though I did everything absolutely the same. I'm pretty frustrated.

Edit nr 2: Ok, I found a system that works. I rip from the DVD using Handbrake, with the settings listed in the guide in this subforum. Then I use iTunes to convert to iPod. It takes a while, but so far, it's worked for all the DVDs I've tried. Just thought I'd edit in this bit of info, in case someone else ever stumbles across this thread, looking for help.