ripping a dvd to imac with wondershare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by podger13, Jan 15, 2009.

1. podger13 macrumors newbie

Hi , VERY new to mac so i do apologise , I'm having difficulty ripping my own dvds to my iMac with wondershare. I follow all the instructions but when the file has finally converted ( 2 hrs later ) the mac freezes. has anyone used wondershare for mac?

2. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

yup just use handbreak, and make sure you download VLC aswell.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why? I mean, VLC is a useful app, but it has nothing to do with Handbrake.

4. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

with the newer builds of handbrake you can no longer rip DVDs you might have accidently added hollywood levels of copy protection to. Unless that is you download VLC. then you can rip just about anything, except old dr who dvds, the video goes all funny on the rips and i have to use an OLD copy of HB to rip them

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Huh, interesting. I always have VLC installed, so I didn't know that.

6. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

no biggie, i only found out after i installed an update and it told me. HB couldnt find my VLC 'cos id moved it into a folder inside the applications folder, moved it out into the main apps folder, restarted vlc and off i went. It's something to do with CCS librerys or something like that not being included in VLC for legal issues, and it tells you how to get round it, like i said by installing VLC

7. blackfx35 macrumors member

How does Mac The Ripper fit in with VLC and Handbrake? I was under the impression I should use MTR first, and then Handbrake to convert for viewing on my AppleTV (or other device).

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You used to need it, but Handbrake can handle most DVDs now. If the disk has encryption that Handbrake can't handle, MacTheRipper may be able to help.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's worth ripping the entire disc to your hard drive with Mac The Ripper before you use Handbrake.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why? Handbrake usually works straight from the disk, and if you're planning to go straight to AVI, you may as well eliminate a step.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Because if I'm encoding a movie that's going to take hours I don't want to slow it down by reading straight from the disc or damage my optical drive by having a disc spinning in there for hours.

and if I need to use my drive for something else I can do.

12. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

to add to Sky Blues comment, its better to do if you plan on doing more DVDs than you have drives in one huge batch, and I get higher ripping FPS when using HB on a video_TS folder on my hard drive vs streight from DVD, arround 30-40 from DVD and 70ish from Hard drive (1500kbps avi, mpeg4, passthrough audio, 1024x576 strict anamorphic) and i usually just que ubout 6-9 DVDs overnight (3-4 40min TV Shows per disc), and my imac is by now means a speed machine by todays comparissons.