Ripping a dvd to ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lindat, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Lindat macrumors member

I apologise if this has been asked loads of times already, I couldn't find a thread by searching. I have lots of good movies in dvd format. What is the cheapest way to rip these and be able to watch them on my ipod (or ipad in future)? I had a trial of something called Magic DVD Ripper, which worked well, but has now run out. Is there a good cheap (or free) alternative? Thanks.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

3. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I followed the setup and I was ripping and encoding into iTunes within 15 minutes.

I insert a DVD, it asks me if it's a movie or TV show, it rips it, I can tell it when to encode (usually overnight) and then the files can be auto-transferred to iTunes, or I can do it myself. Fairly hands-off and smart.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

There is an easier way. It's not as sophisticated as the previous poster's method, and won't provide all the tagging, etc, but will get your movies into iTunes and available for your iPod: Download Handbrake, and use it to convert your DVDs to an iPod-friendly format.

I've never used Handbrake on a PC, but I presume it's similar to using it on a Mac: insert the DVD, launch Handbrake, select which program on the DVD you want to convert, select a preset (to select the type of output file/resolution you want), and click start. Once Handbrake creates the file, you add it to iTunes yourself, and tag it as you see fit.

If it still seems complicated, just try it once and then it won't.

The first time you launch Handbrake it may be a good idea to select the 'Update Presets' menu option (assuming the PC version has this) to get the latest preset settings.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

My link utilizes Handbrake as well. It is the best program for this purpose.

The automation of the whole process makes following this procedure the way to go in my opinion.

7. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

I prefer the Slysoft software -

AnyDVD which runs in the background and defeats copy protection...period.

CloneDVD Mobile - to encode to the device of your choosing.

I use Slysoft to decode, encode or make copies and IMG Burn to make disk images.

8. Lindat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I shall see what works best for me. I knew there'd be some experts out there!

9. polotska macrumors 6502

Handbrake is probably the best tool for this purpose on the Mac.