ripping a dvd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Aug 28, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I have many home made dvd discs (with dvd menus etc) and i want to find some way to convert them to some file that will be playable to a mac, keeping the interface but without needed to be played on a dvd drive. Is this possible and how?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Open a Terminal and use something like this.

Code:
    dd if=/dev/dvd of=image_name.iso

You can use diskutil list first to find the /dev/ entry for the dvd drive and the of= part can include a /path/to/storing/image_name.iso to put them into some storage directory. Now to play them back you need to mount the .iso file and use something like VLC which can open the VIDEO_TS folder that will be contained in the .iso image, it will have the menus in there as this will be an exact copy of the entire disk.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

hmm i right clicked on the dvd disk, pressed duplicate and the entire dvd with the videoTS folders etc. was copied on the desktop. How can i create a playable dvd out of that duplicate folder now?

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

One more thing... the dvd has a start up clip that executes when inserting it on a player (autoplay). This clip was not available in the VIDEO_TS folder... how can i make it be included in the produced rip file?