Ripping a few minutes from a DVD-R

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Spaceboy88, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Spaceboy88 macrumors member

Spaceboy88

I've got a DVD-R of some home videos my Dad sent me. I'd like to rip a few minutes off to make a self-contained movie I can email and upload to YouTube. What is the best way to do this quickly without having to rip the entire 1.5 hour DVD?

2. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Hi,

I use MPEG streamclip. Works very good. You can shuttle the whole dvd and set an in- and outpoint. Convert it to almost anything.

MPEG Streamclip is free, you only need the quicktime pro player (only the player, not the whole pro)

Good luck

3. Spaceboy88 thread starter macrumors member

Spaceboy88

I've got Quicktime Pro player, but when trying to use Mpeg streamclip I keep getting a message telling me I need the MPEG-2 add on? Am I doing something wrong?

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks for the tip about streamclip, I had the same issues a few months back and couldn't find a simple solution.

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Buying the MPEG2 add on is an option. It's only $20 , right? You spend the time it takes to earn that reading the mac news forums every night. :)

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Snapz Pro X makes it very easy. Costs money, though.

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Look inside the Video folder of the DVD and see if there are several VOB files there. Locate the one you want and then just copy that file to the HD, then you can use MPEG StreamClip to choose the bit you want.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Not that - I just didn't know about the QT add-on or Streamclip. $20 is fine.

9. huntercr macrumors 65816

Oops! Sorry, RedTomato, I was actually intending to respond to the original poster. I don't know why I quoted you. Thanks for not flaming me. :)