Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
After reading some of the Mastered for iTunes documentation and downloading the accompanying tools, I have a question...

In the PDF, they discuss the previous challenges of encoding high resolution files and note the advances they've made in their new AAC encoding process, which I'm assuming is done through the Master for iTunes Droplet encoder tool provided. I have some 24/96 files from the recent Paul McCartney Archive Collection series that I'd like to create MFI files from, but would this Master for iTunes Droplet, while normally intended for high resolution files, also benefit regular CD rips? In other words, would there be any difference, as opposed to a regular rip in iTunes?

Thanks!

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
keep the 24/96 files and find something nice to play them on, MFI is still lossy AAC, not worth the effort

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Right, I love lossless, too, though this is more for experimentation purposes. Not to mention for space on my iOS devices.

So, today, I used the Master for iTunes Droplet for those McCartney files and I did notice the new AAC encoder is much, much better. I was seriously impressed.

However, forget listening preferences, for a second. Theoretically, even though these tools are for high resolution files (24 bit) to create MFI versions, would ripping a CD (16/44.1) through this droplet also provide similar results or would there be any technical limitations?

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Right, I love lossless, too, though this is more for experimentation purposes. Not to mention for space on my iOS devices.

So, today, I used the Master for iTunes Droplet for those McCartney files and I did notice the new AAC encoder is much, much better. I was seriously impressed.

However, forget listening preferences, for a second. Theoretically, even though these tools are for high resolution files (24 bit) to create MFI versions, would ripping a CD (16/44.1) through this droplet also provide similar results or would there be any technical limitations?

It should produce similar results. I don't think you would have much issues, just that it will either automatically down-sample the file or prompt you to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.