Ripping Album Art from iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by StealthSoul, Oct 9, 2009.

1. StealthSoul macrumors newbie

I've recently been looking into how I can get high-resolution artwork for some of my albums, and I was wondering if I can use iTunes to get some. I don't buy music from iTunes so I wouldn't know, I thought I'd ask here before buying and being disappointed.

I know that there have been applications online to grab album art from iTunes that don't work anymore, so I was wondering - if I buy 1 track from an album that I want the album art for, can I then get the high-res artwork from the track? By ripping it using tagging software or otherwise?

Thanks

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

You don't need to buy anything to get album art. If the album/song is in iTunes, and you have an iTunes account, just right-click (or the equivelant on a Mac) on the song you have ripped/added yourself and select "Get Album Art".

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

There is also the option under advanced to Get Album Artwork.

I find the best place to get higher quality artwork is Amazon. Just copy/paste them into iTunes

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

There is also the option under advanced to Get Album Artwork.

I find the best place to get higher quality artwork is Amazon. Just copy/paste them into iTunes

5. StealthSoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies. This worked, thanks so much!
    The only way I can currently see to obtain the artwork is by right clicking it at the bottom right, selecting copy and pasting it into photoshop and saving it. Is there any way I can reach the source file on my hard drive, and is there any way I can find out if there are higher resolutions available than that?

For example, a certain album gave back a 600x600 resolution file - but I know that using an old iTunes art grabber (that no longer works) it would give back a 1425x1425 resolution file for the same album. I'm thinking this means there is a higher resolution version available on iTunes somehow, but I'm not sure.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Hmm, I haven't seen a 1425x1425 file in some time. Personally, I find it overkill, so I'm not overly concerned about it. You may have to do some more digging there.

7. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Yes but when just shown at Amazon the art work is only 500x500. iTunes artwork looks amazing.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The album art you get from iTunes is lower quality. For high-quality album art, Google the name of the album or use sites such as Album Art Exchange.

9. StealthSoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Well so far, iTunes looks like it's the best place to get HQ album art for smaller bands who I can't find much of on google and nothing on Album Art Exchange. I guess 600x600 is the highest I can get off of iTunes, though. It's pretty detailed and looks great so I'm happy I guess.

10. minlshaw macrumors member

Is there any way to get the artwork used within the iTunes store for the iTunes Essentials playlists? I have most, if not all, of the songs of some of these and it would be nice to be able to print a CD insert to go with the burned discs using that artwork. I know I can e-mail myself a link to the page and save the artwork from the e-mail, but that's too small to be print-worthy.