Ripping and backing up DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deskjet, Jul 23, 2007.

1. deskjet macrumors newbie

I need to make some copies of my DVDs to protect the originals. What is the easiest way to rip the DVD's onto my hard drive and then burn them onto a blank disc exactly the same way they are originally?

Is there any decent software for this that isn't too hard to use?

Thanks in advance.

2. kinai-ahi macrumors newbie

I have been vasolating between MacTheRipper and Handbrake. Ive heard Handbrake might be a more simple system....but Im not sure. Then to burn the DVD, Toast seems to be the best out there. If there are any other methods, please let me know.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

In my experience, Handbrake is only good if you want to go from DVD to iPod (or a video file on your hard drive). MacTheRipper (MTR) is wonderful, especially if you donate and download the MTR3 beta, but it doesn't re-encode video... Meaning that if you have a large movie you will need to burn it on a DVD9 (not the cheaper DVD5).

I'd say to try DVD2OneX which is 40 Euros. I hear it is one of the better ripers/re-encoders out there, much like DVDShrink in the Windows world.

4. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

You need mactheripper to first rip the video file and make a disk image without the copy protection. Then find a program to do what you want with it. Handbrake works great if you want a video file.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't think DVD2OneX is a ripper or a re-encoder, but it is an excellent shrinker. It's the app I always recommend if someone needs to shrink a DVD.

As for ripping/backing-up DVDs, MacTheRipper is your best option if you want copies that will play in a DVD player. If you just want backups that you can watch via FrontRow or in QuickTime, you'll want to use HandBrake.

6. Paulsan macrumors member

What program would be used to burn the ripped video to a dual layer disk with no compression? I'm using OS 10.3.9 and don't want to buy Tiger to run Toast 8.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The vast majority of Popcorn's functionality has been integrated into Toast 8 now.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

let me describe my research of freeware combo for ripping+shrinking to 4.5G and imaging process.

1. mac the ripper for ripping, if its a 4.5G already, use DVD imager to convert the files to *.iso and burn it with simplyburns

2. if ripped file is larger than 4.5G, try DVD remaster(shareware, but demo should work) to make it to 4.5G, and then create an image and burn it.

i know its too much steps, but we don't have DVDshrink or k9copy under OSX.

9. Hairball macrumors regular

Hairball

That's a lot of work. If you spend a little money, use Fast Copy DVD. It is very easy to use and the whole process of ripping, compressing and burning generally takes less than 1 hour. www.fastdvdcopy.com

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

DVD2one is half the price, Im just so used to free solutions.....