ripping and burning DVD's

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Aj2488, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Aj2488 macrumors regular

moved to software section

hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and not sure if this is the spot to post this, but here it goes. I recently downloaded MactheRipper, DVDRemaster and Toast 8 to copy and burn DVD's. (I'm not sure if this is the simplest way to do so or not) The process worked great for the first few DVD's, rip it with MactheRipper, compress with DVDRemaster and then burn with Toast. Unfortunately on my most recent try, when I try to burn it through Toast, it gets to 5% complete and then says "hardware error" and it cancels the burn right there. My DVD drive is working fine it seems. It plays CD's and DVD's great. Does anyone know whats going on or how I can fix it??

Thanks a lot,

Alex

2. YoungCreative macrumors member

YoungCreative

I use Handbrake to put my DVD movies on my iPhone and have seen this problem on a couple of titles. One that I can specifically remember is Monster House.

Does the 5% cutoff happen on all the discs you are now trying, or is it title specific?

3. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

So far its only happened on "Airheads". I'll try another one once I get some more DVD's. Why would this problem only happen on select titles during the burning process? Shouldn't something go screwy earlier then that, like during ripping or compressing?

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

There was some discussion about this on the MTR forums some time ago, regarding DVD's which successfully ripped but which tripped up Toast when burning the extracted VIDEO_TS folder.

If this is indeed the problem you're having, the procedure outlined was to burn the VIDEO_TS folder as an ISO image first, then burn the ISO image to DVD (they recommended Dragon Burn to create the ISO image, which I also use alongside Toast, but perhaps Toast would work as well).

I can verify that this procedure indeed works on some of the newer DVD's (with garbage in their VIDEO_TS folder, as a DRM mechanism) which can trip up Toast.

Again, your problem may be different (hardware error??), but the above suggestion certainly may be worth a shot.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

One thing you could do is download a trial of DVD2one and see if it will burn it. I use it mainly but one day it would not burn a DVD, so I tried it in Toast and it burned no problem.

6. Aj2488 thread starter macrumors regular

alright, i think ill try another DVD title and see what happens. if that doesnt do it ill try the other program. thanks for the feedback!!

-Alex