Ripping and removing dvd region code

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wanderer509, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Wanderer509 macrumors member

Hi,

I have a dvd i bought in the asia are with region code 3 on it, as such it wont play on any of my stand alone dvd player. Is there a way for me to make a copy of it without the region coding (or change to region 1)?

much thanks.

2. PigDog macrumors member

It might be just easier to just set your DVD player to play any region.
    Just Google DVD region change and your brand of player.

3. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately my in car stereo (KD-AVX2) and dvd player (SDK1000) both dont have unlock codes readily available on the net nor methods of unlocking region.

4. dduggan macrumors newbie

There are a whole bunch of apps that can do this. I think Mac The Ripper is probably the most popular.

5. PigDog macrumors member

I found this but who knows if it will work

http://www.fixya.com/support/t7005923-unlock_region_code

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I find handbrake really useful. Not sure though whether it will play it when you're mac won't play it (so you might need to change your region code for that one time, rip it and then put it back, however you can only change your region code a few times).

7. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

i already used handbrake to rip the movie out. but what i have in mind is to rip the complete DVD image (with the menu and chapters broken) and have the region coding removed. is that possible?

i heard mac the ripper is not supported anymore? this is a concert dvd so it would be great if the chapters can remain broken

8. dduggan macrumors newbie

You can still download it (version 4 I think), it's a stable release and works well. I don't think I've ever had a DVD that it's failed to rip. It also rips the whole DVD structure, so you can keep your menus, chapters etc.

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes, MacTheRipper + Toast Titanium want some beating.

10. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

Would u be able to link me to the appropriate version of Mac the ripper? I keep trying to look for codes for region free but just can't find any that works (now switched to a sd7300 for cheap but the one posted on videohelps dvdhack didn't work at all).

At any rate, the Mac the ripper version i see is ver2.6.6. Is that good?

11. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

You can't download version 4 of MTR. You need to make a donation to the developer. He will then send you the app and license code. In the link below read about how to get MTR.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/mtr/

Version 2.6.6 was the last free version. If you can find it, it might work if the DVD doesn't have any of the newer encryption keys.

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T