Ripping blu ray discs on mac via windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .mark., Jul 26, 2008.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

Is it possible to use windows on a mac to rip blu ray discs? Obviously I'd need an external blu ray drive to connect to my MBP but is there anything I'm missing? Would this work with vmware fusion or would I have to use bootcamp?

anyone done this? advice? if it matters I plan on using anyDVD HD.

2. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to rip Blu-rays with Windows on a Mac!
    The only thing that you need is an Intel Mac to be able to install Windows, a Windows XP or Vista installation disc and an external Blu-ray drive (e.g. LaCie D2).
    The LaCie drive is Windows and Mac compatible, so there should be no problems there. Also you could use it on your Mac later, when the right software comes out! :D

I'd recommend to run Windows with Bootcamp, because it uses less CPU and memory and thus leaves more processing power for the ripping of high def content!
    AnyDVD HD should work just fine, however keep in mind that you won't be able to watch Blu-ray movies in OS X, because there's no software player yet. In my opinion there probably won't be one until Apple starts to build Blu-ray drives right into the Macs!
    Power DVD can do the job in Windows.

I've not done it yet, but I'm quite confident that it's going to work, if you are willing to spend $500 on an external Blu-ray drive! ;)

3. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

cheers for the reply. so with anyDVD HD, does it output to a media file or does it keep it in the blu-ray format (if that makes sense?!) Would I then need some other software to convert it to mp4? or can anyDVD HD do this?

4. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

and also how come that drive you linked to is so expensive? is that the going price? I found this on a site I use regularly and it's much cheaper. Am I missing something? ah maybe it's just a reader and the one you linked to is a writer as well?

5. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

AnyDVD HD removes the encryption and rips/copies the original files from the Blu-ray disk to your harddrive! You can however convert these "raw" Blu-ray files! I think that even VisualHub on OS X can do the job. :cool:

I really don't know why the LiteOn is cheaper!? :confused:
    Oh,... it really is just a reader!!!