Ripping Blu-ray movies to IPad

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by erik89, May 20, 2012.

1. erik89, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012

erik89 macrumors newbie

erik89

Well... I have a bunch of bluray films i want to rip to .m4v files for viewing on ny iPad.

My question is simple

Can I use handbrake to rip the bluray movie from the disk, or do I need to convent it to an .mkv file first and then use handbrake to convert to .m4v for use on my iPad.

Have anyone done this, or is it a time consuming nightmare ? :confused:

:apple:

2. samjim59 macrumors newbie

hi, erik89, we need to know the latest handbrake only converts Blu-ray that can be played in your Blu-ray player.

with the handbrake only can output MP4 and MKV video format. play blu-ray on iPad, you can also rip Blu-ray to mp4. if you must to convert blu-ray to m4v, you can try another tool, try to google blu-ray to m4v converter, maybe you can find it.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm guessing that you can't rip 3D BR either?

4. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

m4v is just Apple's specification for the generic mp4 container; both should work interchangeably in most Apple appliances (depending upon their required internal video/audio settings of course).

5. iAmRod macrumors member

My emphasis above... anyone care to confirm if this is the case?

Thanks!

~ iAR

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Yes, I play MP4 files on my iPad and iPhone all the time

7. rdbarnes macrumors newbie

No Handbrake does not convert blu-ray movies to m4v

Handbrake does not decrypt copy-protected Blu-ray movies to m4v. You'll have to use something like makemkv and then use handbrake to convert the mkv to m4v/mp4 to play them on your iPad.

Not a time consuming nightmare, just a two-step process.

8. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

They will both work, but M4V will default open in iTunes (vs Quicktime). Also, the AppleTV requires the files be M4V to manage the 5.1 audio. I'd recommend going with M4V just to be futureproofed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=441377

9. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Do you have direct experience to support that statement; that is, MP4's with 5.1 audio do NOT work in your AppleTV?

I believe that MP4's with 5.1 audio do work in my AppleTV1 and probably my AppleTV2. But without going back and experimenting, I cannot confirm that belief.

10. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I can't recall if I actually experienced this or not. I immediately converted over to M4V when I got the AppleTV initially. I think I had some issues, but I also had an old receiver at the time.

The forum link in my other post has some info and people's experience with the two different extensions if you check that out.

11. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

I already did check that link, thank you.

I think it is a distinction without a difference now; although it might have been important when m4v was first introduced.

Apple initially "broke" the mp4 specification to allow for AC3 5.1 audio in their iTunes Stores movies/TV shows downloads and of course changed it to m4v.

However later, I believe that the mp4 specification was "fixed" enough to allow such audio files to be added without incident.

I can't really test it easily as both my AppleTV and Mac are hacked for premium use; so neither are in a stock, out of the box condition to test with: AppleTV with the FireCore add-on and QuickTime with Perian...

Most important Apps that create such files will do so with the more convenient m4v extension: such as Handbrake.

12. bellymeng macrumors newbie

handbrake is one free software to convert videos only, you can not use it to rip blu-ray discs. to rip blu-ray disc, you can use this software. It can rip blu-ray Disc to iPad, m4v, h.264 and so on directly. you need not be bothered
    to rip blu-ray to mkv and then convert mkv to m4v. this blu-ray Ripper can directly rip blu-ray to iPad format.

http://www.bluray-rippers.com/blu-ray-ripper.html

13. merelli macrumors newbie

Use makemkv to rip the bluray and handbrake to convert it to m4v. Both programs are free and it does work.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If you're running Windows on Mac you can download TSmuxer to mux m2ts file to raw video and audio (and subtitle) then combine it with mkvmerge to mkv file and use Subler to change it to M4V without any converting. (but I guess you may have to have a tool to convert DTS-HD to DD 5.1 anyway)