Ripping DVD audio using VLC

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by maerlyn, Jan 2, 2011.

1. maerlyn macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Does anyone have experience ripping audio from a concert DVD using VLC?
    Whenever I use VLC using the "Open Disc" from the File tab and choosing the "Quicktime" encapsulation and only checking the audio transcoding option to mp3 (video transcoding is unchecked) it gives me a large file with both the video and sound. I only want to extract the audio so that I can play it on my ipod. Any help?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. maerlyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks balamw,
    I got an answer from the VLC forums. To do this you need to go into the preferences for VLC and select "all"rather than "basic" for the preferences, then select the "Stream Output" heading and uncheck "Enable video stream output".
    I also changed the encapsulation method to "Raw" rather than "Quicktime" because for some reason it otherwise wouldn't import the mp3 files into itunes (I'm guessing it's something to do with ID3 tags). this then gives me file sizes around 6mb depending on the bit rate used and song length.

In summary to get the audio from a DVD using VLC change the above preference settings then under the "Open Disc", choose "DVD" and "No DVD Menus" then change the MRL to the chapter of the DVD you want audio from e.g. 1:3 is chapter 3, then select "Streaming/Saving" and go to the "Settings". then in the file space name the file you want to create including .mp3 extension, then choose Raw encapsulation, mp3 transcoding and whatever bit rate and channels you want.

In similar fashion I believe you can use VLC to grab audio mp3 from flash .flv files