Ripping DVD basic questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stanw, Apr 22, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I want to rip some short clips to use for a school project. I need to go through lots of DVDs to get many clips. I plan to use MPEG Streamclip to rip DVDs:

1. Is it common for some DVDs to be protected so that they can not be ripped? or does the footage not come out right after being ripped for some protected DVDs?

2. If so to #1, is there a way around this?

Thanks.

2. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking.

3. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Pretty much any commercial DVD is going to have copy protection on it. I would suggest using Handbrake, and you shouldn't have any problems.

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you saying that Handbrake can get around copy protection whereas MPEG Streamclip will not?

Thanks.

5. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I've yet to find a DVD that Handbrake can't rip.

6. Xe89 macrumors regular

It is true that Handbrake can rip copy protected DVDs with the help of VLC. However you should know that Handbrake is not really a dedicated ripping program, but a program that transcodes files from one format to another. There are dedicated ripping programs, that means that they simply copies the movie from a disc to your hard drive, but doesn't change the actual video or audio. That task is instead handled by Handbrake.

So yeah, Handbrake can probably remove the copy protection. But if it fails, you could try Makemkv (free) or Ripit (costs money but with free trial). These programs focuses on the ripping part.

7. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Not to be difficult, but are these commercial copy-protected DVDs that you own and will the clips you ripped in shown in a public forum (which includes a classroom w/ students)? Technically, you would need permission from the copyright holders of each DVD that applies - check HERE.

Now I do rip my own copy protected DVDs for viewing on my iPad and for backup which would come under the 'fair use' practice which can be vague at times. Now, I'm sure that you would have no problem @ all, but I could imagine one of the students having a parent who works for an agency dealing w/ copy protection - just saying.

My wife has run into this situation several times in performing copyrighted songs for our local UU fellowship - e.g. in one song where she wanted to change one lyric line to fit the situation, the author of the tune refused her permission - can't remember if she sung the song as written (which was granted) or choose a different one?

But, good luck w/ the project and let us know your solution - Dave :)

8. mic j macrumors 68030

Actually, VLC 2.0 no longer provides the libraries necessary to decrypt with the latest version of HB. The libraries have to be downloaded manually. I like MakeMKV to decrypt dvd/BR's and HB to transcode from mkv to mp4. MakeMKV is free while in beta (which it has been for a long time).

9. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Within education there is some legislation called the Teach Act http://www.copyright.gov/docs/regstat031301.html that enables educators and students to use short portions of copywritten materials for class related activities, so what I am doing is legal.

1.) I'm a bit confused by the workflow going from Handbrake to VLC. Why do you need them both, and what Libraries need to be downloaded, and from where?

2.) I want to have other students do this as well, so I'd like to find the simplest workflow possible to suggest to them.

Thanks guys!

10. mic j, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

mic j macrumors 68030

You need certain library files that contain decryption keys to be able to decrypt copy protected content. Handbrake by itself does not have these libraries. It used to be that if you installed the video player VLC onto you computer it would provide the required libraries. With the newer version, VLC no longer does this, so the libraries containing the keys have to be download and installed manually. Frankly, it's more hassle than it's worth. Just install MakeMKV. put your dvd into the drive. It will scan it and give you some options on what you want to save off the disc (main movie only, no menu). Basically just pick the largest file. It will then create a decrypted mkv file of the main movie. You can now take that file into any number of applications for editing. If you are requiring an mp4 file, use handbrake to transcode the file to that format.

Edit: I believe Streamclip will convert the mkv to an intermediate file type that can be edited (large file size). Make sure you have the latest Streamclip version.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a link to libdvdcss.pkg in this post. All you do it DL the file and double click to install. Not that hard.

12. mic j macrumors 68030

No, downloading/installing the libraries are not hard, but having to do that as well as using HB to create an mp4 for editing purposes is just not necessary if you are using streamclip, which the OP is. I just think is simpler to install MakeMKV and edit the output file directly with Streamclip. But that is just my opinion.

13. Xe89 macrumors regular

Ah, I see. Guess I didn't notice the change because I use Makemkv for ripping Blu-rays, although I don't transcode them. With DVDs I use Ripit, then Handbrake for transcoding. It's fantastic how it can take a 7 GB DVD and make a 1 GB mkv with no visible quality loss (I use high quality setting).

Anyway I think that even if Handbrake can rip DVDs, it is smarter to use a dedicated ripper because it is hard to automate the process of inserting discs in your computer. So if you have say 10 discs, you can be done with the disc changing phase quickly with Makemkv (because it just decrypts and copies), then let Handbrake do the hard work of all the files over the night. If you only rip one disc, then it's probably better to just use Handbrake.

14. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

The ripped footage will be edited in Adobe Premiere?

The lab with computers already has MPEG Streamclip installed, so it would be much easier if there is a workflow that uses just that program. Is there some way to use MPEG Streamclip to rip/decrypt the DVDs? OR are we going to have to install MakeMKV and then take that footage into Premiere for editing?

15. simsaladimbamba

As there is a copy protection mechanism involved, and MPEG Streamclip cannot handle that, you need to circumvent that mechanism via ripping the video with either MacTheRipper or RipIt or Fairmount or Mac DVDRipper Pro and then opening the ripped VIDEO_TS folder in MPEG Streamclip to create editable video files, you can even use the Batch List command for that.

16. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. So one program to circumvent the encryption and rip it and another program to convert the files into something that can be used in Premiere, that was the part I was confused by...

Is there a single free program that will do the ripping, cirumventing encryption and also conversion of the video so it can be edited in Premiere?

Thanks everyone.

17. Xe89 macrumors regular

Just download the (free) programs recommended in this thread – Makemkv and Handbrake.

You can have two programs on your computer at the same time, it won't crash.

18. simsaladimbamba

Not free and HandBrake or MakeMKV do not output editable, but highly compressed MPEG-4 encoded video files, but Premiere Pro can still handle those, though it is much more CPU intensive, but a CUDA GPU can help alleviate the CPU strain.

19. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was hoping to find a single program because it would be an easier workflow, but more importantly, our computers are locked down by IT so I have to have them install the programs and getting them to install one program is easier than getting them to install two.

Thanks for all the advice.