Ripping DVD Box Sets to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yogi477, Mar 2, 2011.

1. yogi477 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi

Does anyone know of a quick way to rip box sets to iTunes, preferably including metadata and transferring into iTunes (basically something to DVD box sets that's iTunes is to CD's).

Thanks.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've done this a fair bit, and tend to do the following:
    1) Rip and convert the DVDs using handbrake. If the box set is a TV show, be sure to separate each episode into its own encoding job. I also give each one a meaningful name
    2) Use MetaX to fill in the metadata, chapter names, etc
    3) Import the resulting files into iTunes

It's still a pretty laborious task (depending on how many DVDs you're doing) but it's something you only need to do once and

3. yogi477 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

That's pretty much the way I was going to do it but thought there might be an easier way, is MetaX better than Lostify? It'll take ages to do The Wire.......

4. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

I find there are better alternatives than MetaX, especially for files such as TV shows. I pref iFlicka, but I've never used Lostify.

5. rcp27 macrumors regular