Ripping DVD Collection - Need Help

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by lbeck, Oct 25, 2010.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I'm able to easily rip my DVD collection with RipIt, then use handbrake to encode an apple tv version. The problems I'm having are the dvd menu no longer stays with the encoded file. Its in tact after I rip it, but not after encoding. I'm assuming its not possible with handbrake.

Is there another way to keep the DVD menu so when I play my movie collection on the apple tv I can pull up the menu? The main reason why I want the menu is so I can select closed captioning.

Is there another way to do this? I really want the close captioning to come through. I just lose it after using handbrake.

Any help is appreciated.

2. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

You can add the subtitles offered on DVDs through handbrake. You just have to specify which track.

[​IMG]

3. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

I think, I don't need this particular feature, that there is something that you do with Handbrake to ensure that the closed captioning is there....in there with subtitles.

I know this isn't exactly technical assistance, but it may lead you to the right place.

4. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Thanks for the help. Two more questions ...

1. Is there a way to be able to toggle CC on and off?

2. Is there a way to include the full dvd menu?

5. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I'll answer number 2 because I've never encoded with subs before.

You can't include the dvd menu. The AppleTV will play back video files, but DVD menus are not a part of any particular video file. When you use handbrake, you are taking just the main feature track from the Disc and turning it into a stand alone video files.

6. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Thanks man, appreciate it. Although that sucks but makes sense. I was hoping to get an exact copy of al my dvds on my apple tv.

7. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

If your using the old appletv, you can use atvflash, then just create images of the DVD, which includes everything, and then it's exactly like the DVD. I have a mate who does this is and it works for him.