Ripping DVD collection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jshwon, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

What is the best way to do this while maintaining DVD picture quality to be displayed on my 42" screen? I also want to import these into itunes so they are accessible via front row. Would Hand break do the trick or some other combination?

2. iBunny macrumors 65816

This is what I do.

I Rip the Entire DVD with "MacTheRipper Beta 3 r14" Which I beleive is the newest version... you have to find it out there tho.

Then I have a Full Quality TS Folder. It is 100% Quality and an exact Rip of the DVD. You can watch these in DVD Player or VLC. Which Ever you prefer. However; you cannot import them into iTunes.

Now, I do use handbrake on some DVD's to make them into MP4 files. You Can choose quality and size to your comfort. This takes the DVD movie and can create 1 video file that you can use for your iTunes, or Quicktime or wahtever. I cannot recommend any Handbrake settings because it differs for different people. I make my movies with Good Quality, but I like them Small in size so they are easier for transport. You will have to play around with it a bit to get the optimal quality you desire for your 42'' TV.

Hope I didnt confuse you haha lol. But Yes, handbrake is what you want to accomplish your goal, you just have to play with it until you get where you want to go.

3. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know. I think Hand Break will convert TS files to mp4 as well. So it all comes down to hand break settings.