Ripping DVD footage for use in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rill, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rill macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I’m making a show reel of an actors work and need to rip from dvd recordings of her performances (one of which was produced by me so there’s no legal issues).

I’ve downloaded DVD Ripper but am unsure if I can convert the dvds into a file editable by Final Cut Pro? Or if there's a higher quality way of getting the files into the program?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. -DH macrumors 65816

Handbrake is totally the wrong tool for this task. Use MPEG Streamclip (freeware) to convert the DVD's VOB file so they match your FCP Sequence settings.

Handbrake is designed to convert DVD footage to MPEG-4.

-DH

4. Rill thread starter macrumors newbie

5. jorjo macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get over the same problem and MPEG Streamclip doesn't work for me. What am I doig wrong? What format do I convert the vobs into?

6. Rill thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but i've been exporting 'to Other Formats' then selecting 'DV Stream' from the list
    or exporting 'to DV' Which plays in FCP. These are probably the same formats.

Attached Files:

7. -DH macrumors 65816

No, they are not the same. iMovie uses the .dv stream codec. FCE and FCP use the Apple DV/DVCPro codec. While you can use the .dv stream in FCP, it will require more rendering than if you used an FCP native codec. Look in the FCP manual or in the list of FCP Easy Setups to see which codecs are handled natively.

In MPEG Streamclip, use the Export to QuickTime choice, then choose the proper codec from the drop down list.

-DH