Ripping DVD For Editing in FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Raptor660, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Raptor660 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

New to FCP Studio, just switched over from Imovie.

I'm having a playback issue when bringing in ripped DVD footage to FCP. When I drag the footage to the viewer, it plays back very slow and choppy, and is basically un-editable.

The programs I've been switching between are Handbrake (for Ripping the DVD portions that I want), Mpeg Streamclip and FFmpegX. So far I have not found a compatible combination that plays back smoothly in the FCP viewer once imported.

Ive read around the internet and it seems that Handbrake might not be the best tool for ripping DVD's into FCP (due to the H.264 codec). I've downloaded MacTheRipper but have yet to figure out how to use it. Basically I only want to rip certain chapters from the DVD, not the whole DVD itself (this was why Handbrake was so great, but alas :( )

Can anyone help me out? I'm aware that my Handbrake rips can be brought into Streamclip or FFmpegX and converted, but my main concern is VIDEO QUALITY, and FFmpegX in particular is very bad about lowering the quality.

Does anybody have any ideas for me, or need any more information from me? I'm using the latest OSX and am streaming all of my clips from an external HD via USB 2.0 (which might be one cause of my problem...people have been telling me to get firewire).

HELP??!!!! Any ideas as to how to bring top-quality DVD footage into FCP to edit?? If you need more information please let me know.

My I-Mac Specs:
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

2. -DH macrumors 65816

If you own the rights to the DVD: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2059475&tstart=0

If you don't own the rights, the only legal way to proceed would be to contact the copyright holders of the footage you want to use and negotiate the rights for your intended usage. As part of those negotiations, request that they provide the footage in an editable format.

-DH