Ripping dvd onto my imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PJGILL, Jul 19, 2011.

1. PJGILL macrumors newbie

Do you know the best app for ripping dvds onto itunes on my imac? I have a number of them and want to be able to use the dvds through itunes on APPLE TV which i itend to buy shortly. I also want to be able to watch them on my ipad through home sharing.

Help appreciated.

Regards

Phil

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

If you have more than a few to do, then I would suggest using a ripping program + an encoding program instead of an all-in-one program.

For ripping there are a quite a few pragrams out there, but RipIt and Mac the Ripper seem to be at the top.

For encoding Handbrake is hands down the best program around and has presets for your Apple TV so there's no guesswork.

Here's what I did for my entire dvd collection.....

You can set up RipIt to automatically start ripping a dvd as soon as you insert it, and to eject it as soon as it's done. I also set it up to rip the files to an external HD so all I had to do was keep feeding discs until I had a "batch" of them done. I would do about 12 or so at a time.

Then you can add the rippied dvd diles to Handbrake in it's queue and let it run all night, and depending on your machine they should be done in the morning. This process lets you get throungh a big collection fairly quickly if your not the type to set up the "Automatic DVD Ripping/Encoding/Tagging" scripts as in the sticky thread in the AppleTV section.

Also when you're done encoding let a program like Identify (in the MacApp Store) tag all of your artwork and dvd info, and then put it in iTunes and enjoy.

4. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Good post. I think I'll try your method also. I have about 150 dvds to rip/encode . . . . should keep me busy for awhile. About how much room (how many gb's) will each movie take up on my hdd?

5. simsaladimbamba

6. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Just be sure you have a decently large external hd because after the ripping the files are around 6-9gb each, and then after encoding they will shrink down to the 1-1.5gb size. So just make sure you have a big chunk of free space available.

7. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Will do. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SpicedApricot macrumors newbie

Are these programs available in the APP Store? I'm trying to figure out which Ripper to purchase. Same with the Encoding program - which is a different program altogether?

(Sorry, this is my first post and I am a new iMac user, so I am winging it on a few issues)!! Thanks in advance!

9. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

So is there any difference in terms of quality of video and audio between using software to rip my DVDs and coping the contents of the DVDs directly into my iMac?

I found that the size of the two methods are quite different but not sure if there are any other differences. Which method is recommended?

Thanks for any suggestions~

10. PJGILL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies. I had heard a rumour that Apple might now be considering rmoving the barrier to ripping direct into itunes in the same way as CDs. Anyone know if this is likely?

11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

That is not happening, ever. iTunes is not providing a barrier, the barrier is the encryption on DVDs and the fact that Apple does not support MPEG2/AC3 on their devices. They need to be decrypted then encoded.

The legality of decrypting DVDs is questionable. Apple could provide users with a tool to do this, but it would seriously piss off the movie studios they work with in order to get movies in to the iTunes store.

And unlike CDs which take a few minutes to encode, DVDs would take hours. Not the best user experience.

Besides, what motivation would Apple have for doing so? It would reduce the likelihood of users purchasing content from the iTunes store if users could easily import their own DVDs.

It just isn't happening.

12. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

With Apple removing the optical Drive all together (which is going to happen sooner than later) it is highly unlikely that iTunes will gain DVD support.

RipIt or makemkv are still the safest bet on ripping the dvd, handbrake on encoding it.