Ripping DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TSX, Apr 4, 2010.

1. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I bought some dvd's and i need to rip them to my HD, I have handbrake but for some reason i think it doesn't rip in DVD quality, am i right about this? Is there any other apps that can rip dvd's? I have toast but it tells me their copyrighted.

2. Robb.Penoyer macrumors member

Wondershare - it costs $40 to remove the watermark, otherwise fantastic DVD ripper.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacTheRipper, FairMount and RipIt are the notorious rippers one gets thrown at its head if one asks this question. I don't know why though.
    Maybe MRoogle might give you a better answer.

Handbrake does only encode the video to some other format using another space efficient codec.
    Ripping is the actual copying of the DVDs content to the HDD while circumventing the copy-protection schemes inherent with commercial video DVDs.

MRoogle might even find you plenty of threads about properly encoding video DVDs via Handbrake, but I'm not so sure about that, as the last thread seems to be more than one week ago.

4. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

I did search first, so handbrake can rip in DVD quality?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Using MRoogle yields in better results than the forum search on the top of every page.

Handbrake does not rip (I might have mentioned that earlier), it encodes the MPEG-2 video to some other format, like an .mp4, .mkv or .avi file using a codec like H264.
    This will result in less HDD space being taken (8GB down to 1GB for example) and comparable visible quality.
    Handbrake comes with some presets which you can use and try, but one can also use the manual settings if one feels up to it.

Using MRoogle again will give you plenty of threads about properly using Handbrake.

Again, ripping is the process of copying the video DVD's contents to your HDD, while it circumvents some scheme. It is an 1:1 copy of the DVD, thus the size is the same, even the structure.
    So a 8GB video DVD takes 8GB of HDD space after it has been ripped, as ripping is the process of copying video DVD's contents to your HDD, while it circumvents some scheme. It is an 1:1 copy of the DVD, thus the size is the same, even the structure.
    So a 8GB video DVD takes 8GB of HDD space after it has been ripped, as ripping is the process of copying video DVD's contents to your HDD, while it circumvents some scheme. It is an 1:1 copy of the DVD, thus the size is the same, even the structure.
    So a 8GB video DVD takes 8GB of HDD space after it has been ripped, as ripping is the process of copying ...

6. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

When I rip it with handbrake and then I burn it with iDVD why does it say file is too large when the file size is like a 1gb or so?

7. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Definitely give RipIt a try. Crazy simple and works great.

8. TSX thread starter macrumors 68030

TSX

Got ripit works great, i noticed it saves the file as .dvdmedia. What file format to i need to change it to so i can stream it to my ps3 at dvd quality?
    ?

9. Arrandale macrumors regular

If you want it 100% original quality and don't mind using up a lot of disk space, you can manually copy over the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD. VLC media player, amongst others, has the capability of reading from such folders as though it was from a DVD.