Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I would like to rip the first season of my Supernatural DVD's, using Handbrake. Since I have already purchased Season 2 off the iTunes Store, and am happy with the quality, I was wondering if someone could provide me with a step-by-step instruction, or with the correct settings, to use when ripping the first season of DVD's.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have no videos off iTunes, but have you tried opening the file up in Quicktime and getting the info on it (bitrate, resolution etc) and ripping a DVD at the exact same spec?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I have no videos off iTunes, but have you tried opening the file up in Quicktime and getting the info on it (bitrate, resolution etc) and ripping a DVD at the exact same spec?

That's an idea! There's an option confusing me.. which is how many MB I want the file to be.. should I just set that to the size of the largest episode of Supernatural, which I already have courtesy of the iTunes Store?

Thanks again :)

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
Don't even bother with the Target size option, just use the Average bitrate box. I use the HB-iPod preset, which sets everything to the maximum quality playable on an iPod with video. All current iTunes Store videos are playable on iPod, so the preset should give comparable quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.