Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Hey,

Not sure where to post this but since it's a question related to Handbrake.app I thought I should post it here.

My MacBook's built-in SuperDrive is currently set to Region 3 but I have some Region 1 DVDs I want to rip onto my hard drive for an upcoming trip (it's a bit annoying to have to have to change disks on the plane...). My question is, will the region code of my drive change if I just rip the DVDs using Handbrake, not watch them?

Thanks! :)

dmbfan41

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Hey,

Not sure where to post this but since it's a question related to Handbrake.app I thought I should post it here.

My MacBook's built-in SuperDrive is currently set to Region 3 but I have some Region 1 DVDs I want to rip onto my hard drive for an upcoming trip (it's a bit annoying to have to have to change disks on the plane...). My question is, will the region code of my drive change if I just rip the DVDs using Handbrake, not watch them?

Thanks! :)

The answer to your question in no. Once you encode video from the DVD using handbrake there is no region code.

What kind of quality, file size, and format are you looking to encode to? I could probably help you out if you have questions with that.

Ripping the DVD to a hard drive first will speed up the encoding time with handbrake. if you are looking to do a few movies you can just rip all the dvds first, then queue up the encodes in handbrake. Search for mactheripper on google or shoot me a PM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.