Ripping DVDs into chapters or episodes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Jan 3, 2010.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have a Beavis & Butt-head DVD. It has something like 20 episodes on it. Is there an easy way to rip it to my iPhone... not as a huge DVD but each individual cartoon?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mroogle will have answered that question for you many and plenty of times.

There is MacTheRipper, RipIt and Fairmount to rip (copy the DVD to your HDD while removing the copyright protection) the video DVD to your HDD.

Then there is Handbrake to convert the ripped DVD to a file like .mkv, .mp4 and .avi with MPEG-4 codecs like Xvid and H264.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Sure, in HandBreak rip each Title into it's own file. It will help if you use the queue function. :)

4. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

I downloaded Handbrake but I'm lost. It looks like it just wants to make one large file!

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the DVD has several episodes per DVD, than each individual episode can be accessed via titles (one title = one episode).

Episodes can also have chapters (two to four for B&B, one chapter may be the opening credits, and another one the teaser, and the next two the ones before and after the commercial break), which can also be set.

Handbrake overview
    [​IMG]

titles on the left side
    [​IMG]

chapters on the right side
    [​IMG]

presets
    [​IMG]

Does the DVD really have 20 episodes on it?
    Live action series normally have 4 per DVD, but as B&B is animated it might take up less space.
    Is this a commercial DVD or something else?

Here is an older guide: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/109
    found via http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=handbrake+how+to+rip&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1

6. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Wow! :eek: spinnerlys does rock! :cool:

I was typing a follow up reply and then I saw that come across the forum spy (only 15 min later) and stopped. :eek:

Excellent post spinnerlys! :)

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thank you, thank you.

I had quite my time with Handbrake and ripping DVDs of entire series and learnt fast.

The bloodiest mistake I ever made though is not toy use the 2-pass option on my Lost series one DVDs and whenever there was fast movement involved (cameras or actors) the image had lots of artifacts as a 1-pass does not really scan the image for its contents.
    A 2-pass encoding remedies that even if it takes twice as long.
    An entire DVD took me almost one day to encode with my iBook G4, now it only takes some hours.