Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macizcool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Hi everyone.

I'm sorry to create yet another DVD-ripping thread. I have been searching the forum, and Google, for the last couple days and I'm coming up short.

I'm trying to rip my DVDs of 90s sitcoms for the purpose of importing to iTunes (which will then be viewed on my Apple TV and iPad). I'm using Mac DVD Ripper Pro (not MacX DVD Ripper), which is doing a great job, but there is no documentation on the advanced settings. My first project is Roseanne, and the rips are much better than the iTunes versions.

The settings I need suggestions about are: 64-bits m4v files, and h.264 vs h.265. I know h.265 won't give me better quality, but would it make a smaller video file?

Steve Hans

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
The new H.265 codec has better compression ratio than H.264. So the answer to your question is YES.

macizcool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Is there any reason why you aren't using handbrake ?

seemed more difficult to use. Also, don’t you need the files already ripped before processing them in handbrake?

Mac DVD Ripper Pro does a good job.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
seemed more difficult to use. Also, don’t you need the files already ripped before processing them in handbrake?

Mac DVD Ripper Pro does a good job.

Handbrake is very easy to use and will rip / process almost all DVDs on a Mac.

For the few that will not rip, I use MakeMKV.

Nothing against Mac DVD Ripper Pro but Handbrake is free and works well.

macizcool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Handbrake is very easy to use and will rip / process almost all DVDs on a Mac.

For the few that will not rip, I use MakeMKV.

Nothing against Mac DVD Ripper Pro but Handbrake is free and works well.

I can download it and see what it looks like. I used it YEARS ago, and from what I remember, it had a lot more settings than Mac DVD Ripper Pro. Might cause me to ask more questions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.