Ripping DVD's on new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bodhi395, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Macworld put out the benchmark tests for the new iMac, and in almost every category its faster than the previous generation iMac's. I was curious though that the new bottom of the line iMac(i3 3.06 Ghz), preforms horribly in the DVD ripping benchmark compared to the previous generation bottom of the line iMac(core2duo, 3.06Ghz). It takes the new iMac 3:27 to rip a DVD chapter and took the old iMac only 2:09. That's a significant slow down.

Is this just an anomaly in their testing?

I like rip DVD's alot and just don't understand why it would be slower on the faster iMacs?

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

They used 0.9.3 with is an outdated version of Handbrake. Also, the new version is 64-bit which speeds things up as well. I am sure this is just a mishap, since the speed is really slow compared to everything else. Doesn't make much sense, especially since the clock speed is the same, plus it has Hyper-Threading and Turbo Boost.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

DVD ripping (RIPPING, not encoding) is pretty much limited by the crappy SuperDrive. Could have been defective drive or something, hard to say

4. Dsync macrumors member

I love apple, but they really do need to bump up the superdrives! They are not really that "super" anymore! I mean really! 8x??? Come on apple!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are no faster laptop drives AFAIK.

6. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a