Ripping DVD's to iPad query?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snerkler, Apr 19, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

What is the best way to rip DVD's to the iPad? I have various software on my Mac that I've used for video conversion, such as wondershare and Quicktime 7 Pro, however I don't seem to be able to get these to rip the DVD. I've also got handbrake that will rip the DVD but a 2 hour DVD will take up 14GB of storage, and as I only have the 16GB iPad it doesn't leave room for anything else. Is there a way to rip DVD's so that the file size is much smaller?

2. -lefty macrumors member

you can rip using handbrake and set to to MP4 and if the DVDs still come out big then you can set a limit on how big you want the files to come out. Just out of curiosity are you ripping multiple DVDs together to get a 14GB DVD?

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Rip the DVD with handbrake, then convert the file to iPad format. (I'm not sure if you can do this all in one step, I've really only converted things with handbrake, not ripped.)

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

It rips it straight to mp4, whether that's in a mp4 format that's compatible with the ipad I'm not too sure to be honest. I know when I convert files to mp4 for the PS3 they don't work with the iphone/pad. I'll try ripping the way I have, then converting the mp4 to ipad mp4 and see if it makes the file any smaller.

Just 1 DVD is coming out as 14GB. It's an old 2001 season review DVD of Liverpool FC. I looked in the preferences and can't see any setting that allows me to change the output other than files extension and type (eg mp4, m4v, meg-4, m-peg 2) and file llocation.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, so I've managed to figure out how to rip with handbrake creating smaller file sizes. The same DVD now only takes up just under 4GB. However, the footage is interlaced and so blurs when panning and you can kind of see the lines/interlacing. Is this just something you have to put up with when ripping DVD's or can I alter something in the settings/conversion. The DVD I'm trying to rip is a football one (soccer to those in the US) and I would guess the cameras used to capture the football footage were interlaced, so therefore I assume I wouldn't have the same issue ripping Moie DVD's as they're recorded in progressive format aren't they?

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If you're having trouble with compatability, try an app like goodplayer or avplayer, they both work with a wide variety of formats/extensions. That way you can see what will get it the smallest and still play it.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Are you using a compatible preset? Click the icon at the upper right ("Toggle Presets") to get the slide-out window.

8. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, am using the ipad and iphone presets. I'm going to try with a Movie DVD as I think it's an interlacing issue. Clipwrap has the same issues when converting AVCHD files to .mov files for use with iMovie and FCP. Wondershare does a better job of converting AVCHD recorded in interlaced, but I can't get it to rip DVD's properly. Bizarrely Wondershare is not as good as clipwrap at converting AVCHD recorded in progressive format.

9. snerkler, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've found out how to fix the issue. It is an interlacing issue. In the picture settings in handbrake you can choose to de-interlace which fixes the issue. It allows you to choose fast, slow, slower, or custom. I don't know what the differences are though????

Edit: As I thought, Movie DVD's rip fine without the need to de-interlace