Ripping DVD's to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Newbert, May 2, 2017.

1. Newbert macrumors member

Can someone explain how I can rip the contents of a DVD with a series of instructional videos on it to iPad? I have a course which includes 4 DVD's, each with approximately 20 videos. I'd like to be able to view them all in sequence on my iPad Pro. (Available space is not an issue.)

Once completed, is there a preferred app to view them with?

Thanks!

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Rip the DVDs with MakeMKV --> Convert with Handbrake --> Send to iPad and view with the build in Movies app.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

T'hain's answer is good assuming the DVDs are actually made for use in a DVD player...which it sounds like they are.

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Handbrake will rip and convert at the same time.

5. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

6. limnancy macrumors newbie

limnancy

Take a look at this dvd rip app. It could rip dvd to iPad, and allows you to view the ripped video on your computer.

7. Newbert thread starter macrumors member

Hey, Thanks for the useless and uninformative reply. That was a big help.

To everyone else - Thanks.

8. russia22 macrumors newbie

It depends on your space limitations and the type of disc. Lately I have been ripping using MakeMKV and nothing more. Then I play using VLC player. The files tend to be larger straight from MakeMKV. If you need smaller files then rip from MakeMKV and use Handbrake to convert.

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Yep.

Insert DVD, open the first title on the DVD in Handbrake and add it to the queue. Do it with each title on the DVD. Rip away. (I'd just use the Normal preset.) You'll get all the videos in a format that you can then copy over to the iPad. It's pretty easy.

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

And what do you propose then?

Yes, it's time-consuming, but worth it if you have a large DVD collection like I do. I'm not about to pay the movie studios yet again just to have a streaming or standalone version.

I use Handbrake also and it does the job.

11. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i'm not agreeing with him that ripping dvds is a waste of time but it helps if you take a deeper look at your dvd collection. dvds are inherently old. Now there's nothing wrong with that but the movies that a good majority of us have are older movies. I know that not all, but most of the dvds I had were movies at the very least released between 5-10 years ago. Given that information, it just makes more sense to pay 10 dollars a month for netflix which will have all those movies we can watch for one price. doing this can be a far better time investment since even newer systems take 45 minutes or so to rip and convert a single dvd.

*edit - also netflix allows you to download a video for offline viewing.

12. max2 macrumors 68020

Netflix doesn't allow you download their full library for offline viewing :( (Not talking about downloading all movies but being able to download any movie you want to watch for offline viewing you can't do yet.)

13. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

iVi Pro
    https://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php

Rips and concerts to numerous devices. It's in the MAS as well but that version doesn't rip DVDs so have to buy from the website.

Loads of options, devices to choose, you can make it as simple or as complicated to use as you want.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Not to mention that some titles aren't offered anymore for viewing.

I'm slowly converting my DVDs to MP4 but it takes time. I do it when I have the inclination.

15. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

16. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Translation: I don't know how to rip DVDs and ended up wasting an entire weekend attempting it without success. :p

Handbrake on OS X is a one step process. The big decision is what profile to use. Some use some high resolution, high bitrate option that creates large files. That is often wasteful if one is viewing the files on an iPad.

I have found that a variation of one of the iPhone presets works well. Looks great on an iPod touch/iPad/iPhone and looks surprisingly good on my roku 3 attached to a 60" tv streamed from my Plex server.

But "acceptable quality" is highly subjective so I recommend experimenting before committing to a particular profile.

17. sparksd macrumors 65816

And a streaming a lot can potentially cost you additional $ with your Internet provider.

18. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Hehe, lol. Been there too. Trying to convert some odd format and not succeeding.
    But I feel now the same way, all that ripping is costing so much time an effort. And for what? I stopped watching tv/series/movies, couldn't care for all the crap anymore and started reading, researching, working a bit more, lawstudy, having a good time with the family.
    I know, tastes, likes, and hobbies differ, but I often feel more people should be less vegetating and more enjoy living.
    And yet here I am on a forum... :p:confused:

19. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

My Handbrake used to but now it doesn't. What is wrong?

20. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

21. sparksd macrumors 65816

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Handbrake is my best friend. I have over 300 movies on portable Wireless hard drive. Save space from iPad Pro.

23. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I've had good luck with plex, I ripp the disks to MKV files, Plex has a feature to sync that file to the ipad, while its syncing it will trasnscode it to a playable format and it does so fairly quickly.

24. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

no need to convert, leave them as they are.

and, netflix (here in north europe) doesnt have almost any of the dvds i have... the selection is quite small what they offer.. it is more like a joke.