Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsawtell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
I usually use the Handbrake/Mac The Ripper combo when getting my dvds to my iPod/iPad. I went to start one up today and both programs wouldn't work within Lion. What are they best ways to do this now? Thank you so much for your help!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Handbrake is working fine for me with Lion... I've ripped several DVD's already.

lsawtell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Good to know. I went ahead and re-installed Handbrake and that seems to work, but Mac the Ripper still tells me PowerPC programs are not supported...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Good to know. I went ahead and re-installed Handbrake and that seems to work, but Mac the Ripper still tells me PowerPC programs are not supported...

The old free version of MTR is indeed PPC and a goner with Lion

Try RipIt or Mac DVDRipper Pro
Neither is free but both are worth their price

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
just search for MacTheRipper 3.0r14M [k'ed] and this will work on Lion perfectly and its free. Still has the same interface as older versions.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
MRT 3.x is not legitimately free. You have to make at least one "donation" to obtain a license. It's a "donation" rather than an actual payment to skirt some potential legal issues.

I used to use MTR, but getting the updates at the time was a pain. It involved keeping records of the "donations" and some other information which had to be emailed to the developer. I got tired of it and switched to RipIt. I think MTR upgrades are now easier to obtain since I least dealt with it.

MTR gives you a lot of control; RipIt has a much easier interface. I hardly ever rip DVDs, but when I do rip them I've had no problems with RipIT. DVD2OneX compliments both MTR and RipIt if you want to create an image that will fit on a single layer disk, have just the movie and none of the other bloatware, etc. I love being able to put the disk in and have the movie start immediately. No commercials, no menus, etc.

migueler

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
I personnally think the best compatible mac os x 10.7 lion dvd ripper is currently DVD Ripper for mac v2.0.3. It handles a lot of DVDs others won't and it can recover scratched DVDs that no other software will dare to try. Free trial if you want to give it a go!:apple:

pashafans

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Ripping DVDs with Lion

On Mac OS X Lion, lots of application can rip DVD, like snowfox dvd ripper for Mac, which can rip the latest copyright protected DVDs on Mac computer.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
MakeMKV works as well, though it turns the resulting files into uncompressed MKV format. It is free. Files can then be converted using Handbrake.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
The only thing with Handbrake is that it doesn't work 100% of the time. I tried backing up 2 movies I got over New Year so that I didn't have to take my superdrive and dvd's and it didn't work.

yeah i have had a few rare problems with handbrake once it was stuck at 100% for a while when i finally canceled it ripped the whole movie and was ripping it again

example the movie was 2hours

the m4v file was 3 hours it was the 2 hour movie than after the credits the movie started again so it was ripping it on a loop

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
yeah i have had a few rare problems with handbrake once it was stuck at 100% for a while when i finally canceled it ripped the whole movie and was ripping it again

No, this is not a Handbrake problem! It's a DRM aka "defective by design" problem. The final few chapters in a title are set up to throw rippers into a loop.

I ran into this same problem using Ripit on Cars 2. It would keep going and going and got to about 100 GB on disk before I killed it. I documented my workaround here, using Handbrake.

If you limit Handbrake to specific titles and chapters it will probably work. But you must first use something like DVD Player to figure out the correct titles and chapters you need.

nandez28

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
No, this is not a Handbrake problem! It's a DRM aka "defective by design" problem. The final few chapters in a title are set up to throw rippers into a loop.

I ran into this same problem using Ripit on Cars 2. It would keep going and going and got to about 100 GB on disk before I killed it. I documented my workaround here, using Handbrake.

If you limit Handbrake to specific titles and chapters it will probably work. But you must first use something like DVD Player to figure out the correct titles and chapters you need.
Yes, Handbrake plus Subler has some problem when playing (not smooth if I turn on the subtitle). Any ideas?

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
Downloaded MTR 4 today (Mac The Ripper 4) and it works GREAT. Just using Toast Titanium 11 to burn the DVDs (making backup DVDs since the baby destroys them).

RipIt is awesome for converting to other video formats though, especially for iPad. A parents' must for converting kid DVDs for iPad use.

Whorton22

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
I too just bought an apple mac pro with 10.7 Lion os. I downloaded Mac the Ripper to convert my DVDs to my harddrive and the conversion is pixelated/blocked. Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.