Ripping DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by undrtow, Mar 3, 2013.

1. undrtow macrumors newbie

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I am not a very technical person and I'm doing this for the first time on my first imac, so I'm having a little difficulty.

Anyway, I'm trying to rip a DVD with HB and it seems that it all works fine, but when I try and play it in VLC, it shows the duration of the movie as 00:00, and obviously nothing plays.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I believe that I have the 64 bit versions of both HB and VLC, but I guess I could be wrong about that. Any help would be appreciated.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Save yourself a lot of headaches. Rip with MakeMKV (free) first. Then take the mkv file into HB and have it transcode the mkv to an mp4. I know it's an extra step and another app to have around but using this process will save you lots of time and effort.

Now for some help with your current rip. When you do a get info on the mp4 file from HB, what is its file size?

3. undrtow thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mic j macrumors 68030

That's really large for a dvd. Are you sure it's not a blu-ray? If not, what HB setting did you use?

Also, is the file extension mp4 or m4v?

5. undrtow thread starter macrumors newbie

def not a BR.

I didn't really change any of the settings. But some of them are 2500 bitrate, English 5.1 only, and I selected fast deinterlace based on a tutorial I found. Probably shouldn't be a very large file, it's Goonies for crying out loud!

6. mic j macrumors 68030

I would recommend you re-rip it using the aTV3 preset. It is the most sure way to do it, will give you the smallest file size (should be around 1-2GB) and highest quality. It is on the slow side though...ya can't have everything.

It would probably take longer to figure out why VLC won't read your file than to re-rip it. Make sure you have the latest HB version.

7. undrtow thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to re-do it, and got this message again, which I got the first time, but totally forgot.

"HandBrake could not find a compatible version of libdvdcss (32-bit libdvdcss is not compatible with 64-bit HandBrake and vice-versa). Please download and install libdvdcss.pkg if you wish to read encrypted DVDs."

When I go to download the .pkg, it takes me to an error page. This seems like the likely culprit. Would going through MakeMKV before HB resolve this? Or should I keep looking for the libdvdcss.pkg thing? Also, it's an MP4 file, to answer your earlier question.

8. mic j, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

mic j macrumors 68030

Ahhh!!! you didn't mention that error message in your OP, tsk, tsk, tsk. The problem is you don't have current decryption libraries stored on your computer. Yes, using MakeMKV will solve that problem. Your alternative is to find a source for those libraries, download and install them. If you search around the MR forum (I would recommend the Apple TV and Home Theater forum) or the Handbrake forum you will find info on this. The easiest and surest way is to use MakeMKV.

I'm in a good mood tonight, found this link for you: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... 12/macosx/

Evidently, the link provided by HB is not correct. I found this link at the HB forum from someone else complaining about the same issue

Good luck!

9. undrtow, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

undrtow thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the help and for providing the link. I appreciate you doing more than you needed. I'll use the ATV3 presets to try and get a smaller file. Thanks again