Ripping dvd's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toneboat923, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Toneboat923 macrumors member

So I am about to begin to rip some dvd's to my itunes so that I can put them on my ipod.

One thing I am unsure of is that if i convert them to the correct size for ipod, will I be able to still view them at regular size on my tv, once i install my apple tv?

Also, i am using "handbreak" to rip dvd's is this the best software for this?:confused:

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Been using Handbreak since I got my Touch. It's the simplest and most reliable piece of software I found.

3. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Its the size that matters if you only wanna make 1 copy in high res use the apple tv preset, check 2 pass encoding and turbo first pass, of course for better quality, it may take longer but its worth it, and check insert ipod atom to make it work on your ipod, it really depends on the file size the apple tv video takes up a lot of space on the ipod thats why there's ipod high - res, good luck.

4. rowlands macrumors newbie

I second that, Handbrake. Use it to rip dvds to watch while traveling.

5. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

I ripped with your suggested settings but when I sync y ipod t my library the movie doesn't appear on my ipod. Any suggestions?

6. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Did you, after ripping the movie, add it to your iTunes library? Did you tell it to sync movies?

7. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

sure did

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

To save space I rip EVERYTHING in the iPhone/iPod Touch format. It looks great on my TV (42"). Nothing compared to HD but pretty close.

You didn't specify how you try to get it into iTunes but what I do is rip to a folder, open itunes, command + O to import, navigate to the folder/file and import. You should see it under movies in a few seconds.

TIP
    Mac the Ripper (also free) Copies faster, Handbrake converts and rips. MTR will do it faster and you can set it over night to convert. I didn't believe it until I tried it.

9. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm ill have to try it

I tried adding the movie to my movies folder on itunes by just dragging it into the movie library on itunes then syncing the ipod
    but no such luck

10. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

My only idea is that you didn't go into the settings and tell it to sync the movie...does it show up in your library? If so, there is no reason for it not to sync unless it gives you an error message.

11. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm ill have to try it

I tried adding the movie to my movies folder on itunes by just dragging it into the movie library on itunes then syncing the ipod
    but no such luck

12. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

it defiantely was fast but now i have a folder of my movie with seperate audio and video folders...not sure what to do next

13. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

14. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Rip: Mactheripper
    Encode: Handbrake (overnight queues ftw)

I personally use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake for my movies, because I stream them to my Xbox 360 using Connect360. I read that this format can also be played in an iPhone/iPod Touch as well, but haven't tried it yet.

15. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

i tried command+o and it still wont sync..it lets me add it but it it says the ipod cannont play it

the mvoie is encoded as an m4v file

16. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

ok so we know that adding isn't the problem. If I'm not mistaken the file needs to be in mp4 format. Check the handbrake settings

17. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member