ripping from vinyl and voice synth

blehpunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
ok here are 2 different questions:

1) what programs do you reccommend to get audio input from vinyl (or essentially anything else)?

2) are there any programs that do voice synth?

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
blehpunk said:

1) what programs do you reccommend to get audio input from vinyl (or essentially anything else)?

2) are there any programs that do voice synth?

Thanks!
To capture from vinyl you'll have to put the turntable through a preamp, receiver or mixer that has RIAA preamps in it, in order to feed the Mac a line level signal. You can then go into your Mac's audio in, or through a third party interface like Griffin iMic, M-Audio, Edirol, Digidesign, Presonus, Mackie or other interfaces.

In terms of capturing that audio input there are any number of programs from Garageband to Amadeus, Audio Hijak, Bias Peak, or any of the digital audio sequencing programs.

ClickRepair 1.0 is shareware for removing vinyl noise

Voice synth as in simulation of human singing voices?
Yamaha/Zero-G have Vocaloid (in three different vocies) it's not near perfect yet.and one other company has something, Can't remember the name. Cantor?

Celemony have Melodyne and Uno, whioch can tak an existing recorded voice and "play" it at any pitch.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
blehpunk said:

It depends on what kind of computer you have.

my G5 has a good enough sound card, so I just downloaded audio recorder from version tracker.

Plugged turntables into the 1/8 inch jack in the back, and that's it,

That's the free route anyway.

Other than that, you can start shelling out $ for apps like audio Hijack, and sound soap(way too much $)

You can also just record straight into garageband and export to iTunes.

pretty easy stuff. :D

blehpunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I have a 20" Imac G5 2.0 w/ 2gig ram and a record player with built in amp. I'm just trying to record some indie and punk albums, certainly no dj turntable setup. I dont think the cords can plug directly into the imac, so i have to buy a usb adapter or something.

XNine

macrumors 68040
blehpunk said:
I have a 20" Imac G5 2.0 w/ 2gig ram and a record player with built in amp. I'm just trying to record some indie and punk albums, certainly no dj turntable setup. I dont think the cords can plug directly into the imac, so i have to buy a usb adapter or something.
Yup, the Grififn iMic is your best solution for the money.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
I have a iMic (bought specifically for bring vinyl into my ibook). However, I can't say that I'm a fan of Finalvinyl. I have been getting the best results going through my amp and then using Audacity for the actual capture. The recordings from FinalVinyl were rather lifeless and lacked the character that the vinyl had.

Before any audiophiles bite me for using the iMic instead of any of the countless superior (and much more expensive Analog to Digital boxes): I have no intention of replacing the vinyl with digital recordings.

Recording lineage for anyone who is interested: Dual CS-503-1 (with Ortofon OM-20) -> Cambridge Audio A500 (with phono module) -> iMic -> iBook 900 -> Audacity -> AIFF -> 256 K AAC