Ripping home DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saberahul, Aug 23, 2011.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have been using HandBrake so far and for old DVD's it takes out an hour to rip (they are only an hour long each but they are from early 90's). On the other hand, RipIt (using trial version) takes at most 30 minutes. Also, the handbrake file is over 3GB in size where as RipIt is around 500MB. I'm a little confused... what exactly is handbrake doing?

Is there an alternative you would recommend? I ran a search and couldn't find much other than handbrake.

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

RipIt is epic software. I'm not a heavy user. I occasionally rip a movie for portability, but it gets removed shortly after because space is an issue. However, it's always been smooth.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Are you sure about this? I would expect the Handbrake'd file to be much smaller than the RipIt folder.

If I am not mistaken, RipIt will generate a VIDEO_TS folder that retains the DVD structure. Handbrake will take a VIDEO_TS folder and encode the appropriate title into a single file. Depending on your settings, the file size will be smaller than the original DVD.

BTW, if you're encoding personal DVDs, there's no need for RipIt as there should be no encryption on the DVD. Just copy the VIDEO_TS folder onto your hard drive and use Handbrake to convert to mp4 (or m4v). NOTE - you don't have to do this step, but I find it faster to do it this way, rather than Handbraking the DVD directly.