ripping home video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wdh777, May 7, 2011.

1. wdh777 macrumors newbie

My wife has a bunch of home videos on dvds. I put the dvd in the imac and it doesn't recognize them. She made these over the years using pinnacle on the pc. Is their a way I can rip these into files? Not sure if I have to use hand brake or something or imovie can do it? Is there a simple program that you just click convert to file? Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Well, when you mention a easy-to-use tool and want to insert DVD disc and then click to convert to your computer, I just remember Leawo Mac DVD Ripper can do it, you can try it in here. But it's not free. You should know the good stuff is not free, but depends on you.;)

4. simsaladimbamba, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

simsaladimbamba

If one has not have FCP installed, one also needs the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component, as noted in the thread I linked to in my reply.
    Or are you using MPEG Streamclip in some other way?

5. BreuerEditor macrumors regular

BreuerEditor

Use MacTheRipper (free) to rip the .VOB files, then open them in MPEG Streamclip (free), they'll open up as a DVD Movie and you should be able to convert without the MPEG-2 Component, unless something has changed...

Don't demux to .m2v and .ac3/.aiff. Doing so will hinder your ability to convert without the MPEG-2 component.

6. BrunoWill macrumors member

I remember that Handbrake can help you to rip the home DVD to video, I tried it before. It's much simple to operat.

7. simsaladimbamba

Why revive the thread after six months with a solution, HandBrake, which has already been mentioned by the OP?

8. careypo macrumors member

If your videos are 16:9, MPEGStreamclip may not read them correctly. This has happened with me a couple of times. I would recommend using DVDxDV to rip the videos back to your Mac.

9. BrunoWill macrumors member

:DI just share my personal expericence about this topic when I reading the posts, I'm new in this forum.