Ripping my DVD's into iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wicked1, May 19, 2009.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok so I tried to use HandBrake to import a good DVD into iTunes, but not only did I lose the Menu, I lost any subtitles that were in the movie. I was working on Rocky IV and the part where Dolph says in subtitles he is like a piece of rock, well after importing it is gone, and so is my menu option.

Is there a way to import a DVD into iTunes keeping the original version, I am doing this because I would also like to back it up, and Space is not an issue at all so if the movie becomes 8GB each, I do not care, I just need to bring them all into iTunes in their original format.

Does anyone know how to do this and if it can be done, which program do I need.

Thanks All :rolleyes:

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

iTunes does not import native DVD, probably because of the questionable legality of the process. Your best bet is to just rip all of your DVDs and use Front Row or DVD player to play them. You could also use Handbrake as you have done to put a second copy of just the movie in iTunes.

3. thegilly macrumors member

Rip them, using MacTheRipper or similar, to make your backup copy. This will be several GBs and be an exact copy of the DVD with menu functionality and so on. Then you can play it as it is through Apple's DVD player or something else. If you want a copy in iTunes as well, it will necessarily lose much of the fancy DVD stuff--but check your settings in Handbrake, as I'm pretty sure you can burn subtitles into your copy for iTunes (you won't, however, be able to turn them on or off in your iTunes version). iTunes is not a DVD-playing application, so don't expect it to be and you'll be fine. Other applications can play full DVDs or DVD-rips; iTunes just does simple video. :)

4. McShizzel macrumors regular

If you want to make a carbon copy of your DVD to be viewed on your mac you can use either Drive-In by Telestream or RipIt. These apps allow you to make copies of your DVDs preserving everything (subtitles, language settings, etc.).

I would suggest RipIt since it costs less ($19 USD I think) and the license isn't as picky as Drive-In (I would know I have both softwares). Anyways you can try demos of the software.

RipIt: http://ripitapp.com/
    Drive-In: http://www.telestream.net/drive-in/overview.htm

The only downside is you won't be able to organize the files in iTunes or import them in to iTunes for that matter.

5. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

In Handbrake you do have the option of importing subtitles as well. I recently imported a foreign film into iTunes, ripped using handbrake, with all the subtitles intact.

6. McShizzel macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but importing subtitles with Handbrake means they will either always be on top of the picture (Hard Burn), you can't choose to enable or disable the visibility of subtitles after the file has been created from Handbrake.

7. siorai macrumors 6502

They will always be hard-encoded. I think there is an option for forced subtitles only though. Which would give you English audio with no subtitles, but then put in English subs for when another language is spoken.