Ripping my hair out, MBP 2008, Win7 BSOD, driver issues?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by eLJay1234, Oct 24, 2011.

1. eLJay1234 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone :)

i've been having some real issues with installing bootcamp'ed windows 7 on the late 2008 unibody macbook pro,

It's worked fine before with pretty much the same setup, but since a hard drive failure, im doing a clean install and the install works fine, but after 10-30 mins, the computer will freeze and it won't recover, and it's blue screened a couple of times as well

Im using:
    Macbook pro late 2008, new install 4gb ram + hard drive (no problems with that so far, osx works fine as well)
    Fully updated Win 7 Professional 32 bit
    Bootcamp 4.0 drivers (installed over 3.0)
    RM Clock (to underclock)
    Lubbos fan control (i quit this as soon as the fans are running high)
    Riva tuner (a fix i read, has made no difference)
    macdrive 8
    installed latest realtek high definition audio drivers.

here are the crash reports from whocrashed

On Mon 24/10/2011 01:49:15 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102411-30357-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.sys (hal+0xEFCD)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF865C4024, 0xFFFFFFFFB2000000, 0x40151)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hal.sys .
    Google query: hal.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

On Mon 24/10/2011 01:49:15 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.sys (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xAB)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF865C4024, 0xFFFFFFFFB2000000, 0x40151)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hal.sys .
    Google query: hal.sys WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

there's about 6 and they're all the same :(

ps, im using 32 bit, because rmclock won't run under 64 bit. is there an underclocking program that will? maybe the problem won't occur under 64bit windows + drivers?

any ideas would be much appreciated, you beautiful people you :)

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I think that your idea above ( 64 bit new install with latest bootcamp drivers ) is what I would go for first. Don't try the 3.0 drivers then 4.0 on top!

No idea about underclocking/overclocking using windows ... until you get something stable I would stay far away from that experimenting.

3. eLJay1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dude!

I think the problem was me using too low voltages on RMclock, and using the super lfm mode, which was blue screening the entire operation, so far no lock ups...i think its working!!!

time to get a hair transplant :)