Ripping problems on 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pacmania1982, Jul 5, 2009.

1. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Hey All:

So I'm at a loose end this weekend, so I decided to finish off ripping the last 20 or so DVD's that I have to put on the Apple TV.

I've had some problems encoding to H.264 with the Apple TV - some show up as able to sync others don't, so I thought I'd just use the regular MP4 format in Handbrake.

I've got three machines on the go:-

2.23GHz 13" MacBook Pro, 2GB RAM
    1.83GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini, 2GB RAM (previous generation)
    1.80GHz Core 2 Duo Hackintosh 1.5GB RAM (Lenovo T61)

The Mac mini and the Hackintosh both manage to get about 175% CPU utilization for Handbrake, but my 13" MBP I get max of 45%, so its taking at least 2.5x as long to rip a movie as the other machines do. The Mac mini and Hackintosh both get an average 107.43fps & 106.65fps respectively, where as the average on my MBP is 29.09fps.

Can anyone think of why the new MBP would be slower? I've checked that I'm running the latest version and I am.

See the attached screenies (Left is my 13" MBP & Right is the Hackintosh):

Any advice would be appreciated

pac

Attached Files:

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Do you happen to have 2-pass encoding enabled on the MBP? I notice on mine that if I do (which is default) it takes over an hour to run and when it's not enabled it's under 30 minutes generally. I can't see a difference in quality but definitely in process time.

3. pacmania1982 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Nope - just single pass

Bit rate is the same: 4000 average bitrate

Its just really weird! The settings are the same on all machines!