ripping software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ROGERWILCO357, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

ok i have the mactheripper and it is unable to backup my movie so i can put it on my ipod or just make a copy so i can keep the master safe. what software is best to achieve this goal?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

That might be because you are still using the software when the original SpaceQuest came out!

Check here:
    www.handbrake.fr

3. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

4. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

thanks

thanks will try again with newer software ..

5. Lokrado macrumors regular

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

For handbrake to work you need to also have VLC installed, http://www.videolan.org/
    This is because Handbrake uses VLC's video codecs.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Is this legal in your country of residence?

8. sadcamper macrumors regular

Don't quote me on this, but I believe in the US making a copy of a purchased media is legal as long as it's for personal use and not intended to be distributed.

9. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I believe breaking the encryption on DVDs in order to back them up is prohibited by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), a US law, and is thus illegal.

10. sadcamper macrumors regular

I was under the impression that the DMCA applied to the circumventing of anti-piracy measures, not necessarily to actual act of using said software?

Either way, I'm definitely not an expert on the subject...if someone is concerned with the law or their rights, forums are probably not the place to discuss. ;)

11. trondah macrumors 6502

I prefer MakeMKV. It will remux your DVD/Blu-Ray into an MKV, keeping the original movie with subtitles and chapters. No encoding whatsoever (you can encode it later if you like).

12. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I'm not sure I follow. I thought what I said was more or less what your first sentence says, i.e. breaking the DVD encryption = circumventing of anti-piracy measures.

I'm not an expert either. I just know that Real, a company, tried to make DVD to video file conversion software but was shot down by movie companies and/or the MPAA who used the DMCA as ammunition.

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

- And are you not circumventing anti-piracy measures when you are breaking the encryption on a DVD in order to make a copy?

- I realize that. I was just curious. :)
    In my country, you see, it is illegal to break this encryption without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

Anyway, sorry for going a bit off topic.