Ripping TV DVD's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nmals23, May 8, 2007.

1. nmals23 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to back up my seasons of 24, Entourage, and Lost to my Mac, but I'm having a heck of a time getting all the episodes of each disc to rip properly. In the case of 24, Handbrake will only rip one of the episodes, but not the other three.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I've downloaded Mac The Ripper, but can't figure it out -- do I just do a "main feature extraction"? When I select a save location, it also gives me a RCE Warning....what's that?

Thanks for the help. This site is great, and very helpful for us Mac Newbies.

-nm

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

In Handbrake, there is an option to rip what you want, it in the top left corner, and tells you the duration.
    Picture 1.png
    (it is blank in this case but you know what I'm talking about.

For Mac the Ripper, if you'd like just the show, no menus, you select Main Feature Extraction. You'll be given just the movie, no menus.

If you do a normal rip, you get the entire DVD.

There is some crazy copy protection on some DVDs so some of them may be troublesome.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

RCE is the "regional encoding" - as I recall, Mac the Ripper, if it comes across a disk that is specifically encoded only to play in one region (like zone 4 for here), it asks you to tell it what region that is, and then (at least in the default setting), de-regionalises it to OFF if it can or sets it to ALL if not.
    Presumably, according to the tortuous, Machiavellian intricacies of most nation's digital copyright laws, this is an illegal operation.
    You can tell it explicitly not to de-RCE the disc if this bothers you by selecting the same region in the "New Region" (although given than I'd guess these are commercially protected CSS DVDs that you're illegally de-CSSing, that point is rather moot).

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Each episode is like a separate movie.

What you do is enable queue, and choose each episode in the Title dropdown list. Rather than starting, you select add to queue. When you have them all, click on start, and it will run through each of the encoding jobs in turn.

If they're tv shows each episode is about 40-45mins, so that will tell you which titles you want.

5. Ozman712 macrumors member

This isn't really a direct reply to your question, but if you plan on importing those episodes to iTunes, then you need Parsley is Atomically Delicious. It changes the file names so they actually show up in iTunes correctly as TV shows. And it works really well.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29224&vid=276042

Oz

6. southside ports macrumors newbie

southside ports

Trouble with handbrake

I can't seem to get Handbrake to run??? It wont even open actually.. anyone else have these issues? any suggestions. i have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled. nothing seems to work...frustrating