Ripping TV shows on DVD to iPod format?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sam10685, Aug 12, 2007.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Hi! I have loads of DVD movies that I rip to my hard drive using Mac The Ripper then I use Handbrake to put the into ipod compatible files. So far that's working excellent. Although I have lots of TV episodes on DVD and I would like to put each episode into it's own file that I can ultimately put onto my ipod. Is there a way to do this? How? I am only ever able to rip the first episode with Mac the ripper. (p.s. I also posted this question on this thread-- the 5th post-- but I never got a reply.)

2. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

Use Handbrake when ripping TV Show DVD's. I have done this and continue to do this using Handbrake and it works perfectly. Simply follow these instructions (the Handbrake part; ignore the MacTheRipper part). You can select to rip each episode individually. If you are rupping an episode of for example The Office, they are about 22 minutes long. So look at all the files and find all the 22 minute long ones and those should all be the episode files. The other files are things like the introduction, deleted scenes, etc.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Ripping_a_DVD_to_an_iPod_Video

Hope this helps.

3. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

I use handbrake for TV shows all the time! Just select each episode from the drop down list and add them to the queue at the bottom. When using handbrake, make sure that everytime you add an episode to the queue you select the ipod preset again (on the right hand side) 'cos it puts just 1 minor detail out otherwise and makes the file non-ipod compatible.

I should know, I've done it enough times, just look at some of my Simpsons collection in itunes...

Attached Files:

4. chocolatecow macrumors newbie

Hey tombarnes can you teach me how to rip movies to my ipod.I know ther is free software for this i just wont to know which one you think is the best

5. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Handbrake without a doubt. Use Handbrake as opposed to handbrake lite because handbrake lite doesn't rip at full quality. Here's the link for handbrake

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Not sure why you are having such a problem with MactheRipper... it should allow you to rip the entire disc. Then in Handbrake you can convert each episode individually from the ripped disc. This is how I do it, anyway.

7. brag22 macrumors newbie

how about using neoretix tubehunter?-it works for me,anyway.