Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
I just bought a 5g ipod yesterday and have been using handbrake to rip my dvds. I want to rip my aqua teen seasons, but I want to play them as individual shows. If I rip the largest file (as given on the howto rip dvds via handbrake online tutorial) will that rip one large file where I would have to fast forward to get to the next episode? Or would that make individual files? Or do I just have to choose the smaller files (the ones with times that are obviously the episodes) to get the individual files I desire. I'm sure this has been covered, but can't find the right posting, if someone could help, that'd be great. Thanks.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
drater said:
I just bought a 5g ipod yesterday and have been using handbrake to rip my dvds. I want to rip my aqua teen seasons, but I want to play them as individual shows. If I rip the largest file (as given on the howto rip dvds via handbrake online tutorial) will that rip one large file where I would have to fast forward to get to the next episode? Or would that make individual files? Or do I just have to choose the smaller files (the ones with times that are obviously the episodes) to get the individual files I desire. I'm sure this has been covered, but can't find the right posting, if someone could help, that'd be great. Thanks.
Use handbrake, choose the largest title, then choose the chapter setting just below it. Or, rip one long video and chop it up in Quicktime.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
freeny said:
Use handbrake, choose the largest title, then choose the chapter setting just below it. Or, rip one long video and chop it up in Quicktime.
Do you mind elaborating a little bit more please? I kinda understand what you're saying. But I was wondering if that it defaults to how many chapters there is or do I choose? and how would i break it up in quicktime?

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
drater said:
Do you mind elaborating a little bit more please? I kinda understand what you're saying. But I was wondering if that it defaults to how many chapters there is or do I choose? and how would i break it up in quicktime?
In Handbrake, choose the longest title in the title selection box. right below that box (depending on which version you are using. i am refering to the latest version 0.7 beta I think) Is a box that says chapters. each chapter would most likely represent each episode. if its a specific episode you want, watch it on your dvd player and see what chapter is playing. thats the chapter you want to put as the setting in handbrake. if its chapter 2 put- chapter 2 to 2. if that episode spans several chapters like 2 to 7, then put 2 to 7. extract each chapter/episode accordingly.

if you go the quicktime route, rip the longest title (assuming it is all the episodes crammed together) at the proper codec, assumably mp4 etc. open the ripped file in quicktime. You might need quicktime pro for this which is well worth the $ in my opinion. and perfect for things like this. In quicktime, right below the marker arrow, you will see two additional markers materialize if you pass your curser over it. move the right marker to the end point of the episode you want and the left marker to the begining of the episode. then go to EDIT/TRIM TO SELECTION. Then FILE/SAVE AS/SELF CONTAINED MOVIE. poof you have your solo episode. continue doing this to each episode until complete.

Hope this helps and hope I didnt leave anything out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.