Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soultosoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
I've been ripping my movies, importing to itunes, and playing on my apple tv. I use Ripit and convert to mp4 with handbrake. No problem with these.

Having trouble with multiple episode discs, either tv or dvd's. For example I bought a double feature disc and ripped it but it only ripped the first movie. Also bought Band of Brothers which has 2 episodes/disc. My system for ripping only gets me the first episode.

Is there a setting in Handbrake that will enable me to rip both episodes or both movies on the disc? Or a better way than my current system?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ever tried Title selection and the Queue (Add to Queue)?

MR2ss_2014_04_04_pB1_HandBrakeTitleSelection

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I find iVI Pro to be a bit more complete. It costs (after the first 10 rips) but is easier (to me) when ripping episodes, burning subtitles, and adding meta-tags. And I was a long-time Handbrake user.

Soultosoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Ever tried Title selection and the Queue (Add to Queue)?

Looked at the chapter and such, never saw the drop down for the title. Thank you.

----------

I find iVI Pro to be a bit more complete. It costs (after the first 10 rips) but is easier (to me) when ripping episodes, burning subtitles, and adding meta-tags. And I was a long-time Handbrake user.

Thanks for the info. Grabbed Handbrake because it was mentioned here and free and at the time I was only ripping a few titles. Since I'm converting a lot of discs now, I don't mind paying for better option. I'll check into it.

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006

+1 for IVI. Great piece of software. Note - the version on the App Store doesn't rip DVDs.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I've been ripping my movies, importing to itunes, and playing on my apple tv. I use Ripit and convert to mp4 with handbrake. No problem with these.

Having trouble with multiple episode discs, either tv or dvd's. For example I bought a double feature disc and ripped it but it only ripped the first movie. Also bought Band of Brothers which has 2 episodes/disc. My system for ripping only gets me the first episode.

Is there a setting in Handbrake that will enable me to rip both episodes or both movies on the disc? Or a better way than my current system?

Try MakeMKV instead of RipIt for ripping the disks. MakeMKV scans the disk and gives you a list of the titles found. It creates a separate file for each title you select.

Soultosoul

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Good call on the iVI. Really liking it. Much easier to pick which tracks to convert, grabs the cover art, and imports to itunes as well. Takes forever to convert but that's probably due to never upgrading the RAM on my mini from the stock 2g. Next on the list...

Having an issue with getting it to accept the license number, but working with CS to fix that.

I'll look into MakeMKV. Sounds better than Ripit.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Good call on the iVI. Really liking it. Much easier to pick which tracks to convert, grabs the cover art, and imports to itunes as well. Takes forever to convert but that's probably due to never upgrading the RAM on my mini from the stock 2g. Next on the list...

Having an issue with getting it to accept the license number, but working with CS to fix that.

I'll look into MakeMKV. Sounds better than Ripit.

I also would go with MakeMKV.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Yeah, I always use the title feature in Handbrake. Handbrake generally looks for what it thinks is the correct title by default, but it's not always right. I prefer to actually go into the Mac's DVD player app, take note of which track(s) I want to rip, and then add individual titles to Handbrake in the queue. It's a little more manual work, but it saves a lot of time in the long run even if it only saves me from having to re-rip a couple of movies.

This is also good for ripping extra features, like short films (Despicable Me 2, most Pixar films, etc., include one or more short features in bonus features, and I want them too).

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, I always use the title feature in Handbrake. Handbrake generally looks for what it thinks is the correct title by default, but it's not always right. I prefer to actually go into the Mac's DVD player app, take note of which track(s) I want to rip, and then add individual titles to Handbrake in the queue. It's a little more manual work, but it saves a lot of time in the long run even if it only saves me from having to re-rip a couple of movies.

This is also good for ripping extra features, like short films (Despicable Me 2, most Pixar films, etc., include one or more short features in bonus features, and I want them too).

Handbrake is correct almost all the time in selecting the correct title but I also always check the title first by playing the DVD to double check before ripping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.