Ripping!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cbdboz, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Cbdboz macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Hi,

Looking for advice on best software to use for ripping copies of my dvd's and ideally Blu rays to my mac so I can view on ATV.

DVD fab seemed to work...with a few exceptions, but now need to pay...so wantd to check if thee are other better software that I should use.

I searched forum and appears to be a lot of mention on makeMKV. ....however, just downloaded, and on both dvd's I tried...it came up with:
    " error 'SCSI error - Illegal requeste: read of scrambled sector without authentication ' occurred while reading 'DVD+r......."

Help please.....:confused:

2. boysdontcry macrumors newbie

MakeMKV and Handbrake all the way. The error you're receiving is most probably a bad disc. I've ripped and encoded about 400 Blu-Ray's and DVD's using MakeMKV and Handbrake. Sometimes you get a bad/dirty disc. Besides that it works flawlessly every time.

3. Pyromonkey83 macrumors 6502

This!

I do exactly the same and the above, never had an issue.

Now that Handbrake has updated everything to rip/encode at the same time and with full subtitle support for Blu Ray, though, I generally just use Handbrake.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

I didn't think HB would rip BR's, just dvd's? :confused:

5. Pyromonkey83, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

Pyromonkey83 macrumors 6502

The last few updates allow ripping on most Blu Rays, certain ones have protection that Handbrake does not support, however, which needs to be bypassed with another program. MakeMKV can do this job, or quite a few other programs as well.

Using the latest Nightly builds, I hardly ever have a problem with the protection on any Blu Rays.

Also, since 0.9.8 (I think?) Handbrake also now fully supports PGS subtitles so Foreign Audio Search will work with these as well now.

EDIT: It turns out that it is actually not Handbrake that does this, which is my fault for not realizing. On my ripping machine (which is a Windows PC) I have AnyDVD HD instealled, which is apparently the culprit for removing the protection on my Blu Rays when I load them, and allows Handbrake to read the disc like it would a DVD.

If you do NOT have this program or are on a Mac, MakeMKV->Handbrake is the only way to go. Serves me right for not having used my iMac on the ripping process in forever. =P

6. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Absolutely correct. HB can't decrypt *any* blu rays by itself. Heed the above by Pyromonkey83. On mac you want makemkv. On windows AnyDVD HD is the gold standard (but costs money).

7. mic j macrumors 68030

Glad you caught that!:)

8. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Thanks for the feedback....I will try again with newer discs and hopefully avoid the same issues.

One other question...how do I Rip Blu rays as my iMac does not read Blu rays...do I need to buy a separate piece of hardware / software?

Thks

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You need a BD drive, obviously, and makeMKV software.
    PS makeMKV also has an excellent forum where you can get better technical support than here. In there you can also get info on preferred compatible BluRay drives that work best with makeMKV.

10. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

nova
    killer

Is makeMKV updated as new Bluray's come out?

11. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

12. mic j macrumors 68030

Yes. The software is very well maintained and free while in beta (which has been for a few years now. Honestly, if you like the software you should purchase it. With the amount of effort the developer puts into the application, he deserves something.

13. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

MakeMKV..... Work.....

We'll tried again...seemed to be whirring away for best part of 3 hours with multiple lines of update text in the bottom window... Followed by a bunch of errors and ultimate line..." Failed to open disc"

Maybe I'm just unlucky, or maybe it just doesn't work with Disney....but this was a brand new DVD...so was hoping this would work.

...back to trying dvdfab...to see if this works where makeMKV doesn't....

14. mic j macrumors 68030

Are you on a PC or Mac?

15. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

On a 2008 iMac ...4g ram...and painfully slow :(

16. mic j macrumors 68030

Wow. I've never run into anything that MakeMKV couldn't handle. Is it a dvd or BR? I see you refer to dvd but some people consider anything on a disc to be a dvd.

I would also suggest going to the makemkv forum and searching there for whatever title is giving you the error message. See if it's your particular disc or if the title is a problem for many people.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay dvdfab's prices for a couple problem discs. There is usually always a free way to get it done. I've ripped hundreds of discs and have never found one that couldn't eventually be ripped (free) unless there was a something physically wrong with the disc.

17. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

It is a brand new dvd ( not Blu ray). I am trying the makeMKV forum as we'll....tho tbh it's all looking a bit too complicated for me....

With dvdfab ( when I had in trial) it was a case of turn it on, come back later and then pass through handbrake. I had hoped makeMKV was as straight fwd...but maybe not. :confused:

18. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

I think I have found the answer....tho it has opened up a completely different issue.

It appears the issue is my mac which is now stuck on the wrong region for dvd drive ( in reference to the disc I was trying to copy)

I am unable to change the region anymore....not sure if getting a new portable drive might be the answer....was going to look at the Apple USB SuperDrive....May check elsewhere on forum for views as to whether this or others will work ( May also want to consider a future proof Blu ray / dvd drive that I can use with my eventual iMac replacement.....)

Thanks

19. mic j macrumors 68030

I would definitely recommend getting a BR drive. Doesn't need to write, only read and that cuts down the cost considerably. I have a Plextor that has worked flawlessly and is powered by the USB port so no extra wires/power bricks.

20. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Any idea if this drive will work for read/ write to both dvd and Blu ray for a 2008 iMac....if so then would be a good and future proof investment.....

Tho, I'm guessing it would be best to get a USB 3 / thunderbolt drive..and my iMac is USB 2.5.

21. Billit macrumors member

I am not familiar with the Mac version of DVD Fab, I use the Windows version, but under the Windows version after the 30 day trial ends, the ability to rip still will work. Yes, you will get a message that the trial period has ended but just ignore it and click through.

Also, with DVD Fab it's a little confusing as you have the ability to rip or copy the DVD/BD. You want to select "copy" (to disk), not "rip". Once you copy the disk to your hard drive you can feed that to Handbrake. The rip selection will not work after the 30 day trial end, nor will any of the other choices. Only the copy selection is free (just ignore the message that the trial has ended).

Ripping if I recall with DVD Fab will encode to whatever container you choose, which when I did check it out was IMO was subpar to Handbrake.

22. slothrob macrumors 6502

DVDFab HD Decrypter is free for Windows and Mac.

23. Ryno76 macrumors member

I know I sound like a total idiot, but m pretty new to the Mac world as I just got my first iMac this last month....but will ripping the DVD make it so I can view these movies on my iPad too?

24. Cbdboz thread starter macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Yes...you can drag final file (after handbrake conversion to mp4) to iTunes library...then you can access via Apple TV or iPad or other iOS device. You can also copy onto iOS device hard drive...but will eat up your drive space pretty quickly.

25. slothrob macrumors 6502

That will give you a .mkv or .iso file, or a VIDEO_TS folder, depending on what you use to copy the video to your hard drive. Often (usually?) people transcode that to an .m4v file (using Handbrake) to make the file importable into iTunes and about 1/4 the original size.