Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoshinatsu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Downtown Jigoku
I managed to run Rise Of Nations 1.0.1 on Leopard 10.5.2.
When I saw the "Rise Of Nations Gold" logo, I thought "That's it dude, FINALLY, Rise Of Nations on my iMac!!!!!!!!!!"
Well, that thought didn't last long though... When I actually entered the main menu, I knew that something was wrong... I got into a quick game, and saw something like THIS:

Picture1.jpg

(The graphics are all messed up)
NOTE: I'm running Rise Of Nations 1.0.1 on a new Intel iMac, could it be the graphics card?

devavrat.harshe

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Ron....

Guys, i installed RON gold on Mac 10.5.2 with NVIDIA 8800 GS, 400 GB hard disk, 2 GB ram. But when i open it, it says that it needs 300 MB free space on your disk. Free some space and retry. What should i do?

Sweep'n Streets

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
I managed to run Rise Of Nations 1.0.1 on Leopard 10.5.2.
When I saw the "Rise Of Nations Gold" logo, I thought "That's it dude, FINALLY, Rise Of Nations on my iMac!!!!!!!!!!"
Well, that thought didn't last long though... When I actually entered the main menu, I knew that something was wrong... I got into a quick game, and saw something like THIS:

Picture1.jpg

(The graphics are all messed up)
NOTE: I'm running Rise Of Nations 1.0.1 on a new Intel iMac, could it be the graphics card?

the picture doesn't show up, but I know there was an issue with the video drivers for the new iMacs that caused all sorts of graphic issues, but that was resolved in 10.5.3. You really should run Software Update and apply all suggested updates.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I just opened the box to my brand 20 inch iMac and someone sent me a link about how the damn thing doesn't display "millions" of colours.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,23467711-5014239,00.html
If you can't read it, just Google "imac true colours class action"

Apparently there's a class-action suit on at the moment. grrr....

I am more than just a bit ticked off with Apple at the moment.

Off topic much?

to the OP, definitely apply those updates. My cousin was having graphics problems on his Macbook Pro in Madden 08 but that was fixed with the latest update to Leopard 10.5.5. Good luck!

Larpy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
New to the imac world so go gentle

I want to run rise of nations on my imac i7 and can't, can anyone help me??

Also having a problem running half life in VM in windows.

your assistance would be appreciated.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
What specific problems are you having with Rise of Nations? Will it not install? Installs but won't run? If you give us more info we can probably help as I have Rise of Nations Gold running perfectly on my laptop with Snow Leopard without doing anything special.

What VM are you using? Just so you know, games never run quite as well in a VM as they do in Bootcamp. Try lowering the graphics settings in Half Life, that may help things run smoother. If you go to the VM manufacture's website you can probably find which settings on your VM that would maximize game performance.

Larpy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Rise of nations won't load for some reason, so that's as far as I got. I have a new imac 27' quad so I would have thought that I could have run half life but is says that I don't have a graphics card that meets the min. req.

Thanks for your help.;)

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
Hmm... Well one problem could be that Rise of Nations was designed for the older PPC Macs and not the newer Intel Macs. If you haven't already installed Rosetta, then that is most likely your problem.

If you download and run the automator action below it should tell you that you need Rosetta and automatically start downloading it with Software Update. (You don't need to actually install this, just click on it and once Rosetta downloads just quit and throw this away.)

http://automator.us/stopemptyinput1-0.zip

If that doesn't help, then I'm not sure what else to do besides reinstalling Rise of Nations.

----------------------------
As for Half Life...

If you're using Parallels 5 try going to the menu bar and selecting Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> Video. This will allow you to change your VMs graphics card settings. Make sure that you have "Enable 3D acceleration" checked and increase the video memory to 256 MB (That's the highest it shows on my computer, if it shows higher for you then you can increase it up to 512.)

If you have another VM besides Parallels, these are still the basic things to check. Although, I'm not sure how to get to them as I've only used Parallels. Just hunt around, you'll probably find them sooner or later. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.