Risk by selling drowned iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Niclas, May 17, 2011.

1. Niclas macrumors newbie

I have been in the unlucky situation, that I have dropped my iPhone 4 in water, which have damaged the logicboard in such way that the phone is non-functional now.

I am thinking about selling the phone as broken now, but was wondering about the risk of ID-theft by doing so.

Does anyone have an idea of the risk by doing this. Is it possible to use the information stored on the phone, when the logicboard is broken or can I sell the phone without worrying about it?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

why not get an out of warranty replacement at Apple?

3. kicko macrumors 65816

and then sell a full working blank iphone 4 , that is if you have already replaced the original one that drownded. ;)

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Makes sense to me, pay $200 to replace broken phone and sell that one for $450-550 somewhere. Apple is really cool like that.

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

All within the legal rights of the owner. Not his fault someone wants to pay that much. It's not like he is trying to defraud Apple by getting a warranty replacement of a phone he knows he trashed.

6. Niclas thread starter macrumors newbie

I received an offer like that from my tele-company (Danish). The price for repairing the phone was the amount of $815, which was the same as getting the phone replaced. So I just decided to wait and see what happens on WWDC in June.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's not what people are suggesting though. You can go to any Apple store and they'll replace a broken iPhone for $200 (out of warranty replacement).

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

It sounds like he is in Denmark which may or may not have good access to an Apple store (even here in the US there are plenty of people who don't have that good of access to an Apple store). I don't know, I don't know where Apple is spread out internationally. But what I'm saying is going to an apple store may not be an option for him.

THough I think some one on this forum recently posted about doing a out of warranty replacement with Apple through their webpage?

Anyways, I would be curious if people actually knew the answer to his original question (whether a phone with a broken logic board could still have info stolen off of it).

9. ikaveh macrumors regular

Apple doesnt have store in DK you can call apple support for DK and ask if they sweep it by post or not. otherwise you can only repair/sweep it through your career.

10. Niclas thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple does not have stores in Denmark, as ikaveh says.

After reading on Apples service answer center page, it looks like the only way to get it replaced through Apple, is if you have bought it directly from Apple. Otherwise you have to contact your carrier for service.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Denmark&product=iphone - go to "Service" --> "How do I get my iPhone serviced?"

However, I will give it a try and contact Apple to get it clear what their politics are on this.

11. Niclas thread starter macrumors newbie

Just talked with the Apple Support Denmark (which is located in Berlin, Germany, with people sounding like Germans who have learned to speak Danish).

Beside that the person I was talking to, tried to talk me into getting a family member to take the blame against his insurance company to get the phone covered, it was a very nice service I got.

However, the phone is not covered through the Out-of-Warranty Service from Apple-stores, when bought from a carrier. So guess that I will just wait and see what comes in June, while considering taking the risk by selling my phone as damaged, to get some of the money a new phone cost.

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

That's surprising....here in the US Apple will cover the phone regardless of who you bought it from. Goes to show there are differences all over

13. Niclas thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently there are. Sounds like a very good service they are giving you though.

14. ikaveh macrumors regular

I think they have to service and repair your iphone no matter where or how you buy it, as long as you are in EU. this means if you go to neighbor countries which have apple stores they will give you new/refurbished iphone for 199E. also it means if you insist on getting it replaced by post they will probably accept and charge you 199E for out of warranty service.
    Good Luck

15. Zcott macrumors 68020

Sell it on. I sold an iPhone on eBay that I knew was water damaged, but just mentioned in the auction that it wouldn't turn on. Sold within a few minutes.

16. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Not for nothing but how is it honest to sell an iPhone that has been in water without disclosing that fact? I wouldn't do it.

17. Niclas, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

Niclas thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not selling it without telling the buyer, that the phone doesn't work. That was what I meant by selling it as broken :)

However, I have seen people offering up to $115 for the phone, knowing the fact that it's drowned and doesn't work at all. What can possible be used on a broken phone, which can earn $115 home :confused:

18. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well, if they do have access to an Apple Store they should be able to do that $200 out of warranty replacement you were talking about (I think), and then they got a brand new, out of contract iPhone for $315, that's a pretty good deal.