Risk of assuming an unlimited data plan that may be taken away?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elvistcb, Sep 14, 2014.

1. elvistcb macrumors newbie

Hello --- I am thinking about "buying" a grandfathered unlimited plan via assumption of liability.

What do you all think? Waste of $500-$600 ?? It sounds as if they are going to start throttling the top 5% which I seem to find means more than 2GB!!:confused::eek: And this might just be step one, who knows what is next.

I just want to stream music without worrying about watching the data. I am between 2 & 3 GB now with NO streaming and I really watch what I am doing. I don't have WiFi anywhere but home so it sucks.

"Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device. "

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/07/network-optimization.html

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

because of the throttling, i don't think the unlimited data is worth $500-600. not even close. what data plan are you on now, and how much do you think you'll consume monthly with all the streaming?

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's silly to pay $500 for someone's unlimited data plan. How much data do you plan to use per month to justify that cost? Is Verizon the only carrier that offers service in your area? Sprint and T-Mobile still offer unlimited data if you need it that badly.

4. elvistcb thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm at 2 and I change it to 3 when needed, maybe twice a year. Supposedly my upgrade to iPhone 6 is getting me a free 1 GB for two years? Though I can't find that anywhere online so I am assuming the rep lied to me. Anyone else get offered this?

What will I use? I don't know, I'm thinking 1-2 GB more? So 4 or 5 GB probably. I don't have much of an idea...I don't get how people can stream so much....it seems like if I do a little it eats up the data up fast. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, LOL.

The going price on ebay for unlimited is between $500-$600.... I'm guessing the bidders don't know about the October surprise :eek: I was really close to doing it so I could fully enjoy my new phone.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

what plan are you on and how much do you pay?