Risk Vs. Reward 3rd Party RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macMonte, Jan 9, 2008.

1. macMonte macrumors newbie

What kind of risks do you run when you purchase 3rd party RAM? I mean other then the obvious of it not working properly, can you do damage to your system? As I shop for alternatives other then ordering from Apple, like say from Transcend on NewEgg.com for my Mac Pro, is the lower price worth it?

Also, after installing 3rd party RAM, what can you do to determine if it is working properly? Does faulty RAM make it self very apparent when trying to use your machine? What kind of diagnostics can you run?

This would be the first time installing RAM myself, just wondering if anyone can offer some tips.

2. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

If OS X finds 'unsigned' 3rd party RAM on your system, it'll dial home to Cupertino to snitch and Apple headquarters will silently inject an un-unloadable kernel extension that will cripple your machine. Much like what Vista does with it's driver revocation policy.

Honestly.

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

haha.

there's nothing to worry about. just make sure it's certified and whatnot, like they've mentioned in the other thread...

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

rAM

Third party ram usually isn't a problem, as long as it's certified from a trusted dealer. I would no problem recommending companies like new egg, crucial, kingston, etc., over Apple ram, no matter how important/expensive the machine.

5. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

Is it o.k. to use the 2GB that comes with it along with say 8GB from OWC? Or should I only use the 8GB? And if I can use both, would that mean 2GB, 2GB 1 GB on each riser? Ultimately splitting the 2 single GBs from Apple onto each riser?

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Read that and that'll tell ya

7. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

I noticed OWC Memory is Backed by a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee and a Lifetime Advance Replacement. I assume this is from the time you purchase it or could I purchase it and wait to open it once I receive my MacPro in Feb? Anyone know?

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

OWC is a very reliable company, if something goes wrong they'll exchange it for a working pair if anything goes wrong. I've purchased stuff from them on several occasions.

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You need to keep them in matched pairs.

Attached is the chart withthe Mac Pro DIMM preferred configs. In your case you can't split the two 1GB DIMMS between risers.

Also, you may want to look at this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=404298 (and search for others) regarding DUAL vs QUAD channel access in the Mac Pro.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

10. iSavant macrumors regular

I'd just like to echo Kevin's statement above MrP...

You can't split those the way you state. I just run with 8 GB as shown in Kevin's chart as config 8D. As it is, I'm not using more than that so I choose not to install additional memory that I already have for "heat management" reasons. 8 GB is alot for me. YMMV and so forth.

If you do want to include the original 2 GB also, install as the chart shows in config 10B

Enjoy your new Mac Pro!

11. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

So based on the 8 core I got, I would either just install the new 8 and remove the 2 GB that comes with the computer or add an additional 2 GB singles making it 12 in order to fully utilize the 8 core? Is that right? Really....seems odd to me.

12. iSavant macrumors regular

MrP

Getting two more sticks would allow all memory access to be in four-channel mode, and that's a good thing, but not necessary. 10 GB will be recognized and used and only the last 2 GB will be operating in two-channel mode... not ideal but nothing wrong with it.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

It does get very complicated. Depends really on what you use your machine for. Most people with normal use that aren't doing super heavy video/audio really don't need to go above 8GB of RAM.

In my case, I went with 11GB because I ordered this Mac Pro with the standard 1GB (2 512MB DIMMS) back in March. I then order 2GB (2 x 1GB DIMMS) from Crucial. I really wanted to get up towards the 8GB mark, so my only option was either to order the 8GB (2 x 4GB) and remove everything else....or keep everything in since I am evenly split.

I think the DUAL vs QUAD really wants equal DIMMS all around. For my example, I don't think I have truly optimized access because I'm mixing 512's and 1 GB DIMMS in the mix. I'm using the 11 GB option.

Also, you will always want to have your largest DIMMS closet to the mainboard..like the diagram shows.

If you want to spend the money on the extra 2 GB....you can...that'd give you 12 GB total.....2 GB DIMMS in slots 1 & 2.....and the 1 GB DIMMS in slots 3 & 4 on both risers.

Whether anyone really sees this DUAL vs QUAD difference....not sure.

-Kevin

14. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

Well at OWC prices another 2 single GB won't kill me. Especially after I've already dumped 7k into this mutha. I've been working on a MacBook Pro with 2 GB for over a year. I'm not going to know what to do with myself. Thanks for the help.

15. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

Why doesn't OWC offer the Pro Certified 2GB single DIMMS? Anyone know? And if I bought the Qualified, are those going to work with the 2 GB singles that come in the box?

16. iSavant macrumors regular

Kevin - I "think" all your memory is operating quad channel.

It has to do with the "serialization" that is performed by the AMB.... as long as you have slots filled, it operates quad.

That's what I think and there are many posts I've read that disagree with me.

Anyhoo, a lot of RAM never hurts :)

17. iSavant macrumors regular

MrP

Get the less expensive "qualified" ... the heatsinks used on the "Netlist Certified" cause that ram to run hotter. In my experience anyway.

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

My experience as well. The 8GB I just got from OWC is the Qualified with the Apple style heatsinks. The Netlist ones I got back in March ran way too hot. I returned them.

-Kevin

19. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think that's exactly what I'm thinking. QUAD channel mode will work on the 8GB (2 x 4GB) that he gets and puts in slots 1 & 2. Then from there, access might go down to dual channel.

But hey...unless he's rendering huge projects, I don't think he'll notice a difference as long as he keeps the 8GB in the 1 & 2 slots.

8GB, 10GB, 12GB.....man....gotta love the Mac Pros!!!! Take that Windows! :D

-Kevin

20. iSavant macrumors regular

Best computer (hardware/software) ever designed to date!

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Agreed. I switched in March 2007....and I will never go back. :apple::D:apple:

-Kevin