Risks for loading iOS 5 GM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njaremka, Oct 7, 2011.

1. njaremka macrumors 6502

if i decide to load iOS 5 GM now instead of waiting for the official release, what are the risks? will i be able to load the official release when its available? or will i be screwed?

2. rkahl macrumors 65816

Unless you purchased the developer plan from Apple, your serial number will be recorded and iPhone service will be disconnected.

3. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The GM is the same as the official release, byte for byte. There is no risk to you or your phone when it comes to installing it. Acquiring it without a developer subscription, however, may be risky!

Note that you won't need to upgrade next Thursday - nor will you be able to - as you'll already be running the exact same version of iOS 5 that will be released.

This is not true.

4. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

don't listen to this guy.

the GM is safe to install and is the same as the one that will be released on the 12th unless they have a 2nd gm which is unlikely.

5. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Ditto...

6. rkahl macrumors 65816

What are the risks involved?

7. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. i have the files downloaded, including itunes 10.5 beta 9, just not sure about actually doing it yet. it would be my first "tweak" to my iphone. ("tweak" => not official os load)

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Nothing. I loaded it onto my iP4 yesterday and it is working flawlessly. I'm really digging the notification center.

9. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

There are no risks. I was alluding to downloading the files illegally, which is always risky for many reasons, of course.

10. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

i understand that downloading a file that does not come from apple may lead to getting a file that wasnt specifically made for my phone. this is also why i asked.

if i decide to restore my iphone after the official is released, will the os file be downloaded from apple and give me the official version?

11. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

You'll be fine, I've been using ios 5 since beta 2 (yes I have a paid dev account). You'll like it :)

12. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Only risk you might experience are some apps crashing or won't open until they get updated to support 5.0. I've only had two of my apps not work; not crucial. Hopefully those will be all updated here in a week or so.

13. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

The only thing you risk is saving time by not having to wait when everyone tries to download 5.0 at the same time on Wednesday. I would do it myself, but i require unlock #

14. Lopes macrumors 6502

No risks, it works like a charm. In fact iOS 5 makes my iPhone 4 work MUCH faster and more fluid on the animations and transitions.

Have a quick question with wifi sync though...I can initiate it manually, but it never does it automatically when I plug it in at night to charge...anyone have any experience?

15. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

It won't sync to iTunes automatically, but will back up to iCloud automatically if you have that option enabled.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly.

OP, I sent you a PM.

17. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

(Hopefully) Easy Fix

I had (what I am assuming is) the same "issue." To ensure the phone syncs, check the "Open iTunes when this iPhone is connected" box on the iPhone Summary screen in iTunes.

Hope that helps!