risks of boot camp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by countrykid333, Mar 13, 2008.

1. countrykid333 macrumors member

i was considering installing a copy of windows XP on my macbook and while reading through the set-up guide, i noticed the fact that it advised backing up all documents. well this kind of scared me so:

has installing windows using boot camp ever corrupted anybodies hard drive?

is it worth the risk?

any advise would be very much appreciated.

thanks!

2. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Does this process sometimes have errors? Yes. When you mess with your partition you invite the possibility of errors... which is why they say do a full backup first. Is it worth the risk? Not really a risk if you back up first, is it? Just might cost some extra time if you have a problem with it.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is just a percautionary warning. They say it for everything so if you loose your documents because of a one-in-a-million error, you still have something to fall back on.

TEG

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

yes but any use of the hard drive has the potential to corrupt it. The risk of bootcamp is very minimal.

5. pazreal macrumors regular

I ran into repeated kernel panics while attempting to make a boot camp partition on my 2.2 mbp. I ended up making the partitions from the install dvd and that solved the problem, but that was the only problem I encountered.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

And choosing the wrong partition when formatting for Windows will destroy your OS X partition.

7. JPtheK9 macrumors newbie

My Dad Got Pissed at Me

I used boot camp and when the Imac restarted, it wouldn't start. So, yeah, the hard drive got corrupted. But no worries. Take it to your local apple store and they'll back up your files and give your a new hard drive. That saved my life.