Risks of owning the apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

ok let's be serious.. apple watch will be a hit and everyone and their grandma will know how much the watch is. now it begs to ask, how safe is wearing an apple watch in public? it's bad enough that the watch itself can be a thief magnet and you can get jumped, but then what makes it worse is that everyone will know that you're also carrying an iphone. everyone will know you have an iphone because you will need to pair it. so BAM, robber can jump you and steal the phone and watch into one swipe.

disclaimer: i know it depends on the neighborhood and i don't live in pure hood LOL but i'm just saying. the paranoia is there.

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Well, what I'm carrying with me at all times won't be limited to a Watch and an iPhone. But that's just how I roll. :cool:

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I doubt it will be super popular at least not like the phone. the damage to your wallet is the biggest one when you can buy a ipad mini for the same cost.

5. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

but i already have an ipad mini.. besides, i don't carry it outside like the watch will be.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The watch could actually help with this - a guy I work with mentioned how he was visiting another city, was in a bad neighborhood using his phone's navigation app to find his way. He felt very nervous pulling out his phone for directions, but he kept having to do it. The Apple Watch map app will tap your wrist when you need to turn, and the tap pattern will tell you which direction to turn, so with the watch there is no need to pull out your phone or even lift up the watch to look at it (calling attention to it).

Also, if someone steals your watch, you WANT them to take your phone too - because you can track your phone, but not the watch.

9. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

apple watch 399 - 599 (starting), what owners will pay

apple iphone (subsidized) 199 - 499, mostly what iphone owners will pay

although the actual price of the iphone is 649 - 949

----------

good point.. does the watch have a find my apple watch app? it should!

10. troop231 macrumors 603

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

haha true. You would be like "Oh no. Don't take my phone which is kept in my front right pocket."

12. leenak macrumors 68020

My purse and my wedding set both are worth way more than an apple watch. I aint worried.

13. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

14. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Not worried a out theft. The real risk, of course, is being teased about being a nerd and/or an apple-fanboy. Both of which I am, so I can live with it.:cool:

15. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Uncle Lucifer says: :)

Keep alert, avoid potentially bad situations.

The odds of this occurring a very low in most areas. Those same odds exist, perhaps, for all sorts of unpleasant occurrences .

Also, even in the unlikely event that you are approached, surrendering quickly is your ONLY option. This way the worst that happens is a minor financial setback.

note: Is there 'find my watch?" :D

16. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I am guessing that once it is paired to your phone, you will be able to remote lock it if it gets stolen.

17. technosix macrumors 6502a

I bet constant alerts on one's wrist will be incredibly aggravating.

I'd bet a lot of them end up being turned off.

A large number of people believe everything Apple says, don't think for themselves and only find out about the downsides after they've paid Apple.

18. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

$349 isn't that expensive compared to the iPhone and other things. And Apple would probably brick it when it's confirmed for being stolen. I don't know, though.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The iphone also consolidated a lot of other electronics. It displaced notebook use quite a bit. Texting was already extremely popular, and it furthered that. It displaced things such as point and shoot cameras and mp3 players. This adds an additional accessory, yet as of generation 1 I don't see it lessening the amount of stuff you take along.

20. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

The world isn't merely that scary.

People are curious, if anything.

21. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Even thevies know a bad investment.

22. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

No need to worry.....unless you are wearing the $17K version.

23. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this will not be a huge issue and most situations it's better with the watch.

iphone theft is down now with anti theft measures in the new iOS as well.

Many thefts are still grab and run on subways etc.. With the watch, like others have pointed out, you keep the phone safely in your pocket now.

BUT if you buy a fake gold one or gold plated one, it may draw attention to you as someone with big money...thieves will not no the difference, and a 10k+ watch is a target! heck forget any anti theft measures they just may just want the gold casing.

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Same here. I'm carrying a lot worse than an iPhone and watch.

----------

I hope they have a find my watch app where it gets bricked the second it connects to wifi or Bluetooth somewhere

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93